Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Second set of wheels/tires for winter - TPMS sensors?

Do many people here get a second set of wheels/tires for winter? If so, I assume you got a second set of TPMS sensors? Is there a procedure for setting up a new set of sensors with your XC70?

The manual has little info on the TPMS system and replacement wheels, only stating that it is not recommended to move sensors between wheels.

If you've sourced new sensors, where have you purchased them and what was the cost?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Google aftermarket & OEM sensors for availability / prices . IDK about relearn procedures when rotating tires on Volvos so wait for instructions or Google this too .

I bought TPMS sensors with the package when I got my winter tires and rims from tirerack. They've worked great, and there's no procedure for learning. I simply swap out the tires and all is fine. In some cases you may get a temporary pressure warning light, but it goes away with 2-3 mins of driving.

To my surprise, the sensors on winter tires have been painless on both Volvos I have. Unsure who tirerack gets their sensors from.

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I bought TPMS sensors with the package when I got my winter tires and rims from tirerack. They've worked great, and there's no procedure for learning. I simply swap out the tires and all is fine. In some cases you may get a temporary pressure warning light, but it goes away with 2-3 mins of driving.

To my surprise, the sensors on winter tires have been painless on both Volvos I have. Unsure who tirerack gets their sensors from.
    Do you recall what you paid for the sensors from Tire Rack? I found what appears to be OEM on Amazon for about $50/sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMosca View Post
    Do you recall what you paid for the sensors from Tire Rack? I found what appears to be OEM on Amazon for about $50/sensor.
    I forget, but you can checkout a set of tires on tirerack and see.

The system delivered now doesn't have any sensors in the wheels. It uses the ABS sensors to see if a wheel starts rolling with a different speed instead.

Quote Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
    The system delivered now doesn't have any sensors in the wheels. It uses the ABS sensors to see if a wheel starts rolling with a different speed instead.
    The USA likes its tire pressure monitor systems. Rather the US government does. I believe that the pressure sensors are actually mandated and the system that uses the ABS speed sensors is not allowed instead of.

Here they only care about that there's a system that works, not the technical solution. But Americans are very often very old-fashioned, so it would not be surprising if they legislated about an older solution, thus preventing development.

Here they only care about that there's a system that works, not the technical solution. But Americans are very often very old-fashioned, so it would not be surprising if they legislated about an older solution, thus preventing development.
    I'm not American, but find that generalization a real stretch.

I suspect that you will find the TPMS a more accurate real time system. The pressure monitoring via the ABS speed sensors needs the car to be driven a longer time to get a reading of speed differences in the tires.
    The TPMS normally starts to monitor the tire pressure when the car begins to drive.

Either system is very technical and ultimately does what it is supposed to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast