Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you are not going to drive in extreme snowy or icy conditions, I have Falken ZE912's on my XC and I've done about 5000km on them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1206035829.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	6625

I've driven over bad tarred roads, highways, gravel and we have had torrential rains in the last week and I really cannot complain about wet weather performance as well. Car feels sure footed even in through rather deep standing water. Conditions where my previous CRV would have felt very twitchy.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    That is true
    There are 3 or 4 generations of Scorpions
    ...and they still all suck!
    Absolutely!! The set I had initially had to be the worse set of tires I've had since a set (or multiple sets actually thanks to the warranty) of Firestone Steel Radial 500s that I bought when I was in university back in the Stone Age. Just horrible and I generally really like Pirellis.

Of all things, I've had really decent luck with GT Radial MaxTours. I bought them initially because they were cheap and I didn't expect to get a year out of them which at the time/situation was just fine. But they lasted 4 summers (use Gizzes in the winter) with good grip the entire time. Just bought another set for next summer.

Funny thing about tires though is that they are like religion and what oil you use. No two people can agree on what's best.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I have 1 year, and about 10K miles on Nokian WR G3's, and love them! We have mostly rain here, but some snow and ice, which I avoid if at all possible. Great tires, grippy all year long, but as other said, expensive. MUCH better than the Scorpions, quieter, better ride and handling, noticeably less steering input required, can easily palm around in a parking lot now. I would highly recommend the Nokians.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

I just put on a set of Continental TrueContacts about a month ago, and promptly went on a 2,500 mile road trip with them, encountering all sorts of conditions (dry, cold, but also lots of heavy, heavy rain). I’m very pleased with them so far, they were very confidence inspiring, especially in the wet. TireRack liked them a lot as well (see the video review on their website), and they’re not all that expensive: I found them locally and had them installed for ~$400 out the door.

For winter I run the General Altimax Arctics, and they did great last year. They’re clearly not as good in the handling department, but you in return you get great snow and ice traction, and at a very affordable price.

I am running Pirelli P4 12/32" - tread wear 740. Very happy with purchase.
    Whichever you put on, be prepared to replace after 24,000 miles, if not sooner.
    Buy it on sale! $400+ with install is a good bargain.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

24,000?!!! I had a much better luck with all my tires (Volvo is on the 5th set now), with the exception of the second set of Scorpions.

Factory Scorpions
    Replacement Scorpions (bad, bad, bad...)
    Yokohama Avid TRZ
    Yokohama Avid TRZ
    Kumho Sense (got it just because it is CHEAP, cannot say it is any worse than any of the above)
    =======================
    2003 XC70
    193,000 miles / first owner

I'd like to recommend Kumho Road Venture APT KL51. They have 80k km warranty in Australia and 60k miles for the US. The price is pretty good I think. I paid $162 AUD each.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    The WR-G2 are great tires, but expensive. I would use them again in a heartbeat were I in snow country. For budget reasons, we went with the AltiMax RT-43. They come in the correct size, with an H speed rating, which you should have (for more on that, read here: http://www.barrystiretech.com/speedratings.html ) and they are very good tires.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/pas...max-rt43#Specs
    I spent this past winterin Stowe VT. Ran General Altimax RT43 on the 93 245 and Altimax Artics on the 04 V70 FWD. I managed to go everywhere I needed even in fresh snow with the RT43 on a rear wheel drive car. I love the Nokians WR G2 and Nordman 4 but after this winter would not pay the difference for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12