Default Is my rear end sagging?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000 V70XC sagging rear end.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	6624

Is my rear end sagging? It seems to be a little... also, the front end dips when braking and rises a little under acceleration. The car doesn't float terribly over bumps, but the suspension does seem soft.

109,000 miles on this 2000 V70XC...

What should I inspect in my suspension and consider replacing?

Will replacing shocks and struts fix the sag?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a bit down for an XC if that is on level ground
    My guess is the already soft springs have given out.
    Has this XC been USED, I mean loaded up many times in its life?

It looks like a nice one so time for new springs and Nivomats if you plan on keeping it and if you have the money also do the front end and you'll have a "new" XC!

These should not "dip" at all
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

The XC is new to me... I'm guessing it towed something or was weighed down as you suggest. It was a great find at a great price, so I plan to keep it a while and will invest a little to keep it spot on.

New springs and Nivomats are on my to-do list! Thanks for your thoughts, JRL.

Springs will correct sagging ( if the vehicle is sagging ) . Struts , shocks , etc. will correct bouncing , etc...

You need both on an XC
    The NIVOMATS actually hold the car up

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by gstallons View Post
    Springs will correct sagging ( if the vehicle is sagging ) . Struts , shocks , etc. will correct bouncing , etc...
    This is not a conventional suspension system. All P80 XC's are equipped with Nivomat self-leveling shocks:
    http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/unit...ivomat_us.html

Sagging in these cars is often the result of worn or damaged Nivomats.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

Which in turn wipe out the already soft rear springs

I replaced the Nivomat's a year and a half ago at 137K miles, because the right one started leaking. I didn't notice a sag although replacing them may have raised it an inch or two. I didn't know about the soft springs. Right now, the car looks fine, the tires are wearing evenly and we don't load it up so hopefully the springs will last. Just a note on Nivomat instillation: The access hole is small and the tolerence is very close. I was frustrated at first taking the old ones out until I just forced it and scraped off some of the dirt. I was sure they sent me the wrong new ones because it was such a close fit but, they were the right ones and it all worked out great in the end!!!
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

small and the tolerence is very close. I was frustrated at first taking the old ones out until I just forced it and scraped off some of the dirt. I was sure they sent me the wrong new ones because it was such a close fit but, they were the right ones and it all worked out great in the end!!!