Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rear Drive / Prop shaft removal 03 XC

Hello all.
    I'm removing my rear driveshaft to make my car 2wd. I searched this site as well as many others but can't find a step by step for removal that contains pics or a video.

I live in SC now but the car is from New England so it has a seriously rusted coupling / bushing (whatever it's called) just before the rear transfer case on the driveshaft. It is badly rusted, sqeaking and falling apart. NO, i'm not interested in replacing it or the prop. I just want to remove it.

Your help finding the link is greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0999.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	6600

You will be throwing a bunch of codes for starters.
    It's not as simple as the early V/C cars to just remove the propshaft
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You will be throwing a bunch of codes for starters.
    It's not as simple as the early V/C cars to just remove the propshaft
    I have a check eng light and service trans message. Car runs well except for that crusty drive shaft cv joint sqeaking and humming. Will removing the rear prop disable the car?

I have a 2001 x70 xc that is now FWD only. Drive shaft went and replaced it, shortly thereafter the rear end went. Didn't want to buy a used with unknown history and now live in FL, so went FWD. Cant comment too much on the specifics because I had it done by an indy mechanic. I do know that the rear drive shaft and rear end are no longer in the car. Never had a code or issue as a result. Gas mileage went up a little and rides fine. I was really hesitant but everything worked out fine. Assuming no major changes between 01 vs 03 I think you would be fine. PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck!

03 and on has a completely different AWD system. Google Haldex, if interested.

P.S. Turnes out Borg Warner bought AWD division from Haldex. So it is "Haldex Borg Warner " for googling...
    =======================
    2003 XC70
    193,000 miles / first owner

Doesn't really matter what you do, you seem to be ignoring the service tranny message.
    That means (BTW) your transmission is going to pack it in real soon, so as I said, it really doesn't matter what the heck you do

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue03XC70 View Post
    Hello all.

Your help finding the link is greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0999.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	6600

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...ller-shaft.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Doesn't really matter what you do, you seem to be ignoring the service tranny message.
    That means (BTW) your transmission is going to pack it in real soon, so as I said, it really doesn't matter what the heck you do
    That message occurred over a YEAR AGO, 3 weeks after a factory Volvo trans flush. Car runs/shifts fine, no issues. BTW: try answering the question asked instead of offering opinions.

If you had said that it would make things easier.
    As said, these are not made to remove the propshaft like the earlier cars I have no idea what will happen or not nut as for your rust, start daily spraying PB blaster spray on it for several days.

As for directions, you don't really need any, if the bolts are loose, put it on a lift and just start removing.
    It's a PIA to try this on jackstands
    There should be 6 in the front and 6 in the rear

Quote Originally Posted by Blue03XC70 View Post
    That message occurred over a YEAR AGO, 3 weeks after a factory Volvo trans flush. Car runs/shifts fine, no issues. BTW: try answering the question asked instead of offering opinions.
    Yeah, be critical....

Being critical of someone trying to help will will certainly make me want to help you, too...

I know the answer to your questions, and I read them....but why would I answer now?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast