Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My entire run down of what been happening so far. In the words that have been told to me: Copied from the notes I typed up to keep track of everything I've been told/happened:

Oct.17: had car towed to dealership
    Oct.20 rented a car from enterprise ( no loaner available)
    Oct.23: call from dealership saying engine seized, then engine not seized crankshaft slipped.
    Oct.24: Went up there to check on my car they said they were looking into what happened to determine warranty.
    Give them to 27th or 28th and they will call to let me know. (No Call came)

Oct. 29 Me and my wife went back up there. Same run around " we're working on it, the valves may be bent, top mechanic is on the job."
    So after this I asked to see my car, five minutes of searching for my keys. Come to find out my car is 3 lots over with the timing belt removed sitting on the front seat. Engine hasn't been touched. I was furious.
    I asked for a loaner since I'm paying for a rental and they're not even looking at my car. Rep. said none available. They would try to get me in one today. So as we were walking out, ran into the sales guy who sold us my wife's car (s60). Explained the situation and he went to the Rep and said you got a loaner the Rep said yes. I'm boiling at this point the guy just lied to my face. But I didn't explode, just took the loaner.

Oct.30:
    received a call they're pulling my car in and going to begin tearing into the engine to find the problem.
    November 3rd still no call from the dealership

Nov.8
    - I called the the dealership today, man they really have poor customer service.
    Rep. said they had a hard time taking the spindle off. No ideal of what that means? Maybe he's talking about the crankshaft gear since he said it slipped? They did a compression test and two of the cylinders were low. No leak test though. So again their saying they're going to take the head off to check for bent valves. I don't understand why they haven't pulled the head to checked the valves?

Nov 18
    - I haven't heard anything from the dealership. It's been a month now. Still driving their loaner Xc60. It had 27 mile on it when I got it now it has 1692 mile. Figure I'll just drive it until they call me..... it's so frustrating not knowing

Dec 10
    - Dealer finally called today, After tearing down the engine they said that my cylinders have failed and that since my engine was old that I need to replace it. Quoted me 2 engines 86,000 mile for $5,840 and 100,000 mile $5,540. They said that the engine did jump timing but it has nothing to do with the timing belt or the work that was just done. The engine jumped timing at some other place other than the timing belt....I don't understand? and Yes this is what I was told. I was told that my valves were not bent. They've torn my engine down for nothing. I explained to the service manager that I brought my car in because of the cam position code (check engine light), which he did not know anything about and that the story of failed cylinders, no bent valves, and no mention of slipped crankshaft doesn't add up to what I'm being told right now. They told me that I have bent valves and that my crank has slipped and that they need to go further by tearing the engine down to determine what's the fault. Then come to the conclusion that my cylinders have failed and all of the other things I was told haven't been mentioned. The engine jumped timing but that's not the problem...so they say. Manager is supposed to call me back tomorrow about the cam position sensor code and the location of the engine jumping time. Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated

Dec 15.

Dealer calls saying that the engine timing jump has to due with compression failure of the cylinders and the only thing they can do is offer me $800 of the use engine. I asked to speak with his manager. I'm waiting on the call now.

Sorry guys for the confusion but I was just giving the information that I'e been told with no filtering of terms

Need to know what got you to October 17th.. Why was it towed it..

Cylinder's just don't 'fail'. You don't just 'lose compression' without knowing it. Broken rings from preignition (highly unlikely) is about the main loss of compression you can experience.

Now, the timing work if not done properly, could have let you to Oct. 17 to having it towed.. That's where I'd point the finger if so.

If what you are telling is true....you need to call Volvo Customer Service and try to get some type of resolution here . These terms , theories & explanations are absurd.

Have them to the car to an independent Volvo repair shop. This is sounding very fishy and it stinks from an explanation perspective.

Agree with Forkster. I would want to see car, parts, with explanation by Service manager and dealership manager present. The stories are not consistent. I would not trust them to do the repairs. If the dealership cannot clearly identify the failure by the "failed cylinder and slipped crankshaft" (don't know what they mean) I would lay the failure squarely on them. We once had a Honda dealer try to pull a fast switch on us with a "new engine". But, another story.

Happy new years everyone,
    Just left the dealership talking prices and some other things.
    What do you think of this offer? A used 100k mile engine installed for $3200, 12mth 12k mile warranty. he also told me that if I had any parts that I could bring them up and the would place them on the engine while it was out. I believe at no charge! I was told to take the loaner home again and think on it call him tomorrow.
    As I've stated early I drive 30 to 40k a year, will they throw in a 1 yr,30k labor warranty? or will I be asking for to much. I'm trying to be fair but after this long process of spending $2300 and getting a long run around of what caused my problem.( Seized engine, low compression making engine jump timing, crankshaft slipping, pulling off the head to check for bent valves) all this just to finally come to the fact that the crank pulley was worn. Dealer removed this pulley to replace crank seal; didn't notice the wear. I found this out last by the way. So $5500 in a matter of 7 months. So asking for a labor warranty is that to much?

Quote Originally Posted by herbakis View Post
    Happy new years everyone,
    Just left the dealership talking prices and some other things.
    What do you think of this offer? A used 100k mile engine installed for $3200, 12mth 12k mile warranty. he also told me that if I had any parts that I could bring them up and the would place them on the engine while it was out. I believe at no charge! I was told to take the loaner home again and think on it call him tomorrow.
    As I've stated early I drive 30 to 40k a year, will they throw in a 1 yr,30k labor warranty? or will I be asking for to much. I'm trying to be fair but after this long process of spending $2300 and getting a long run around of what caused my problem.( Seized engine, low compression making engine jump timing, crankshaft slipping, pulling off the head to check for bent valves) all this just to finally come to the fact that the crank pulley was worn. Dealer removed this pulley to replace crank seal; didn't notice the wear. I found this out last by the way. So $5500 in a matter of 7 months. So asking for a labor warranty is that to much?
    You are getting hosed by some dumbf##k crooks that couldn't diagnose a blown light bulb .
    As I stated earlier , contact Volvo customer Service !

Quote Originally Posted by herbakis View Post
    Seized engine, low compression making engine jump timing, crankshaft slipping, - crank pulley was worn. Dealer removed this pulley to replace crank seal; didn't notice the wear.

OK - let's try to make sense out of all this - "The dealer removed the timing belt pulley to replace the crank seal" - then you are saying that pulley failed a few months later --- If the one big nut holding the acc belt pulley (vibration damper) and timing belt pulley to the crankshaft was accidentally left loose - that would account for the failure the crank pulley, and would damage the end of the crankshaft, and would cause the cam timing to change/slip/bend valves if it got bad enough. (cam position sensor code was a warning) Then yes, you would have low compression due to bent valves (after the cam timing changed - not before)

So where you are now is with a damaged end of the crankshaft and bent valves - (caused by a loose crank pulley nut) Then yes, the most economical way to fix both is a used engine.

IMHO The only way a crank pulley fails and damages a crankshaft is from running loose. If it is tight the only wear will be on the teeth of the pulley (from a belt or in some engines a chain) I have seen maybe 10 damaged crankshafts from loose pulleys in 40 years of car repair.

Next - they want YOU to buy a replacement engine from them and pay them to install it because they accidentally left the crank pulley nut loose?

As others have stated, please find someone that can accurately describe what happened to your engine because your quote above (with the words in that order) does not. If you can't get an explanation that makes sense from the shop you are at - Perhaps you might need to have your car towed to a different garage for a second opinion. Or perhaps find a shop you can trust, that will stand behind their work.
    Last edited by hoonk; 01-07-2015 at 12:44 PM.

These terms are all silly . Are you sure these are verbatim phrases ? This sounds like things are a charlatan would say .

Why should you trust them to install an engine when they cannot change a timing belt? Warranty from them? Hold your breath. They don't stand behind their work. Haul the car somewhere else, get pictures and small claims court.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12