Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dealer says I have a seized engine, car cranks

Hi, everyone first post. I have an 2006 xc90 2.5l with 198k miles. Back in May I had the timing done by the dealership. After $2200 all was well. So last week my check engine light comes on. Code p0016 cam position sensor. I replace the sensor, code still there. I clean my vvt solenoids installed new gaskets, code still there. Engine still runs. On my way to the dealership for them to check car stops running. Engine cranks just won't start back up. (Seem like no gas) Dealer investigates and says my engine is seized. I asked how did they come to this diagnosis. The mechanic look through the spark plug hole. Okay.

So after the service rep. talk with the mechanic to find out what really happened. The crankshaft has slipped. I understand that the this could damage the engine but would it be considered seized and non repairable

Quote Originally Posted by herbakis View Post
    in May I had the timing done by the dealership. - last week Code p0016 cam position sensor -replace the sensor - I clean my vvt solenoids - code still there. Engine still runs. - On my way car stops running. Engine cranks just won't start back up. (Seem like no gas) Dealer investigates and says my engine is seized - The mechanic look through the spark plug hole.

The crankshaft has slipped and is non repairable

"Engine has seized"/"engine cranks but wont start back up" - A seized engine does not crank, so I think there is a problem with terminology.

What does "crankshaft has slipped" mean? Does the engine sound different when trying to start it - a higher pitched sound like it is spinning over faster when trying to start?

If so the crankshaft has not "slipped" but possibly one of the cam gears has. (or the timing belt came loose or off) If the cam timing changes, the pistons hit and bend the valves, engine stops running, and dealership/repair shop is left with an ethical decision - I imagine for $2200 the cam seals were included in the May "timing done by dealership". The cam gears are removed during that process - Is it possible they were not torqued tight enough and slipped? The crank gear for the cam belt is keyed (fixed in position) to the crankshaft. The timing gears are not in a fixed position on the camshafts (with variable timing).

When you had a cam position code - those can appear because the cam is not timed correctly - the cam pulley may have "slipped" slightly at that point.

It is possible a cam seized and caused all this - but have not seen that (in this engine) but if there was no/low oil pressure getting to the cams there would have been loud dry lifter noises, and a cam position code. Position codes occur sometimes just from low oil level. Did your engine burn oil like some do?

Bent valves are repairable, expensive at ~$2500 - but should that be done when an engine has ~200,000 miles?

Exactly what type of dealership is your vehicle at ? You are surely not repeating what they are quoting as their diagnosis ? The only thing a mechanic can see through a spark plug hole is the cylinder bore , top of the piston , top of the head or foreign objects.... If the engine will rotate with the starter , the engine is not seized . BTW, crankshafts do not slip .....
    Can you get a documented evaluation from this shop ?
    Last edited by gstallons; 10-26-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more info

herbakis, where are you posting from? Are you posting in English or through a translator of some sort? I agree with hoonk on there being some sort of terminology or translation issue. The only thing I can think of being close to a slipped crankshaft is a spun bearing, but you wouldn't see that through as spark plug hole.

Sounds like after they replaced timing belt something left loose most likely tensioner.

I'd be all over the shop that did the timing belt work, sounds like they have caused the issue if they didn't torque everything down properly or replaced any worn components.

Cars still in the shop.
    Dealers telling me that cylinder failure due to loss of compression caused my engine to jump timing.
    "The timing work that was done had nothing to due with my problems." They did tear the head off looking for bent valves. No bent valves; so basically they tore the engine apart for nothing. Now they want me to spent $5800 for a used engine with 8600 miles.

Where is this dealership located ? Is this a Volvo dealership ? These quotes and terms make no sense at all . We truly want to help but cannot understand or interpret what is being posted .

Cars still in the shop.
    Dealers telling me that cylinder failure due to loss of compression caused my engine to jump timing.
    "The timing work that was done had nothing to due with my problems." They did tear the head off looking for bent valves. No bent valves; so basically they tore the engine apart for nothing. Now they want me to spent $5800 for a used engine with 8600 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by gstallons View Post
    Where is this dealership located ? Is this a Volvo dealership ? These quotes and terms make no sense at all . We truly want to help but cannot understand or interpret what is being posted .
    Yes Volvo dealership Suburban Volvo Troy, Mi. I'm confused by the terms also this is exactly what they are telling me. I can't make this stuff up if I wanted to.

Slipped crankshaft... to this day they haven't explain what this means

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast