Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2006 XC70 Build and Questions Thread - tomedkaz

Hello,
    I posted it on VS but had no bites - I guess this is the right forum.
    My name is Tommy. I used to own a modified S40, then I replaced it with a 2004 S60R that is nicely modified and I still own it – loving it! I am now married, however and wanted to add to the stable something that's more versatile for camping and snowboarding trips as well as those Home Depot runs J
    Initially we wanted something newer like the XC60 RD but an opportunity came up which we could not pass up: A family friend was selling his single owner 2006 XC70 with 86K miles for what the dealer offered him at trade in - $6,000! He's an 82 year old lawyer, and replaced his car with a new S class. We had to jump on this opportunity - gotta love having no car payment.
    The car has been very well taken care of. It came with extras such as Bluetooth, satellite radio, hardwired GPS and Volvo cross bars and bike racks!
    Next step for me is Stage 0 Stuff. After that I’ll swap some R pieces into it. I already ordered R leather gauge cluster cover, aluminum trim pieces, R steering wheel (only need an R airbag). Will also look for 17 inch pegs....or maybe 18? Does anyone have photos of 17 and 18 inch pegs on an XC to compare?

I also have a few questions for the eXperts:
    1. Is there a way to disable traction control? I don't have the button nor do I have it in the toggle menu. Can a switch be pulled?
    2. I want to install HID bulbs in the headlamps and fog lamps. My R runs 55W at 5000K and I love the look (or maybe it’s 4300) .. I am looking for a bright white look, nothing blue or yellow. What is the proper Wattage and K temperature to buy? Should I stick with 35W or 55W? Also, what bulb type in each?
    3. How do I install a rear VR wing? How do I hardwire the light?

Thanks in advance! Now enjoy some photos

It already came in very handy. I’m moving and was able to fit a dresser, headboard and a bunch of other stuff in it. Loving the space!

I am also curious on the traction control disabling. I heard that it might be possible to throw in the switch and that software could be applied to make it work but I am not even sure the software even exists.
    2002 v70 xc White/Tobacco
    Touring Package, Cold Weather Package, Intro-Premium Package, Audio Max
    180k+ on ORIGINAL Autotragic GirlTronic

No
    P80s only
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

55W HID lights in halogen housings blind oncoming drivers.

You can adjust them down all you want, but you are blinding the driver you follow, or that you are meeting in oncoming traffic.

I tried it and disposed of my lights, replaced mine with the proper projector housings for xenons.

Andres
    2013 XC70 T6, Premier Plus, BLIS Black/Black 18K miles, stock
    2004 XC70 Premium, Convenience, Climate Blue/Tan 122K miles, 2007+ ABL lights, IPD sways F & R, TME exhaust, SS brake lines, R Brembo calipers & rotors, Akebono ceramic pads F & R (replaced PCV, power steering rack, struts and springs, end links, ball joints, A-arms, all fluids)

Nice looking XC! I wish mine had the dark gray interior as I think it looks great.
    Enjoy the ride.
    TomK
    2006 xc70 Blue/tan 160,000 miles
    2002 BMW 530i Sterling/Black 97,000 miles
    2001 Mazda Millenia Sand Mica/Tan 190,000 miles
    2003 VW Passat 1.8T 146,000 miles

Thanks guys.
    The car needs a bit of work, such as weeping angle gear and inner and outer tie rods (already ordered those and will be tackling myself).
    I also scheduled it for some work that I myself cannot do: timing belt change, water pump, steering pump replacement (got a used one from eBay - might as well have my guy do it when he's doing the TB), accessory belt and transmission flush.

I'm also wondering whether 18 inch pegs will worsen the ride quality. I really enjoy the plush ride but I hate the look of stock 15s (or are those 16s? not even sure)...

Also, I will not rest until I can disable traction control on this thing! You will see me doing snow donuts in it this winter!

16s and of course they would
    The larger the wheel and tire, the harsher the ride
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
    Thanks guys.
    The car needs a bit of work, such as weeping angle gear and inner and outer tie rods (already ordered those and will be tackling myself).
    I also scheduled it for some work that I myself cannot do: timing belt change, water pump, steering pump replacement (got a used one from eBay - might as well have my guy do it when he's doing the TB), accessory belt and transmission flush.

I'm also wondering whether 18 inch pegs will worsen the ride quality. I really enjoy the plush ride but I hate the look of stock 15s (or are those 16s? not even sure)...

Also, I will not rest until I can disable traction control on this thing! You will see me doing snow donuts in it this winter!
    Accessory belt and the steering pump are hardly a rocket science. If you are messing with the tie rods, I don't see why these two would present a challenge - easy access, etc.
    =======================
    2003 XC70
    193,000 miles / first owner

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
    I also scheduled it for some work that I myself cannot do: ..... and transmission flush.
    Just make sure it is a JWS3309 spec ATF - Toyota T-IV, Mobil 3309 or if you really want to cough up more money for exactly the same ATF as the Toyota or Mobil stuff, the Volvo ATF.

Also, what "flush"? You're probably better off with a DIY Gibbons method flush than a "power flush" at this mileage and a single drain-and-fill will not cut it.

Finally, do yourself a favour and install a Magnefine in-line filter in the ATF cooler return line ...
    Pierre

2016 V40 D4 AT
    2010 XC60 3.0T AT
    2004 Mazda Miata 1.8 - My new toy and restoration project ... Not everything you do in life has to be rational!

Gone: 2015 V40 D3 AT, 2002 V70XC 2.4T AT, 2007 S60 2.5T Manual, 2004 S60 2.0T Manual, 1996 850 GLT Manual

Had a productive day with the XC today. Took it to Nick over at High Bloom Auto (the only Volvo guy I trust) for a tranny flush, timing belt and accessory belt change.

Also, I wanted to go the the dealer to program a used R cluster that I got form eBay but then I figured out I could tackle the job of swapping the needles and faces - I wanted to keep the original miles of the car (the R cluster had 76 and my car has 86K).

I know OceanRacer did something similar and apparently had to take the needles out 20 times to calibrate it etc, but I went a different route. I designed a template which allowed me to record each needle's position, and once swapped I just put it back at the outlined space. At the end, each gauge was set-in perfectly, and I even verified the speedo with GPS.

The next step is to connect the LED cluster, but it was already getting too late in the day for that.

Test fit of the R cluster with the wrong mileage - it all works (except the LEDs)

The surgery begins

This was my template. Worked like a charm! To calibrate, simply push the needle a bit in, then move all the way right, then all the way left and see where it stops. Then just push it until the template matches (hard to explain...and I'm sleepy...but you get the idea)

Moving gauges and needles from the bottom R cluster to the XC cluster (top)

Testing the RMP and temperature gauges (angle of the camera is a bit misleading)

Swap almost done

The little plastic under the fuel gauge in the XC has a little bump, whereas the R cluster does not have it. Simple fix - two screws from the back undo the plastic, and it's easily swappable. See the difference?

Calibrated and good as new!!! The temperature gauge shows the actual temperature - the photo was taken right after start-up and the engine was cold...it later went up to its usual level

Oh another thing...in order for the LED bezel to fit over the XC cluster, these things needed to be shortened. I took pliers to break them a bit..it looks ugly now, but once the bezel is over it you don't see it at all

Unfortunately this is what I see at night...but that won't be long - I'll connect the LEDs shortly

What do we have here!!! It will look better during the day

Another night shot...

For those who are interested in doing the same, I can walk you through it...just let me know

Finally hooked up the cluster LEDs. My only concern is that the fuse I picked stays on during driving, and they don't dim. Does anyone know which fuse slot this could go into in order for the LEDs to turn on only when the headlights are on?

A few pics of my setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast