Default Fuel Filter Nightmare, 2000 V70XC

During my 150K mile maintenance, I took my 2000 V70XC to a local garage for fuel filter replacement and rear differential oil change procedures. I provided the Bosch fuel filter and Volvo differential oil. (For the purpose of this post, the differential oil topic will be dropped.) The mechanic(s) broke the fitting on the end of the fuel line and chose to replace the fuel filter and fuel line fittings with generic parts and screw type hose clamps. (See photo.) They told me they broke the fitting not how they repaired it. They said it’s OK to drive. The garage owner is out of town until later this week.
    Due to the high pressure nature of the fuel system and the hose clamps, I have been advised by other parts professionals and friends not to drive the car. The proximity to the exhaust system concerns me also.
    I’ve done some research. New Volvo fuel lines would cost $446 filter-to-engine and $151 filter-to-tank. Volvo estimates 8 hours labor to remove old and install new. This does not address the unknown shipping challenges (Volvo Parts didn’t even know how the new lines are shipped; whether coiled or straight.) The fuel filter is located up above the rear axle not in the easier to get to “in front of the RR tire” location.
    My questions for this forum are:
    1) Can the high pressure fuel lines on this model be successfully spliced? (Real experience please.)
    2) Is it safe to drive? The guys at the garage seem to think so.
    3) Why haven’t I ever heard of this problem with fuel line clips breaking before?
    I live in a town where it would cost me $1,500 just to get the car to a dealer 800 miles away.
    I will have to take it back to the garage to have the work done and parts paid for...
    Addendum 10/29/2014:
    It’s very interesting that no one has reported this problem before. I also posted this question on the Sweedspeed and Mathew's Volvo web sites with a similar number of views and no replies. Well... here is the story... When the garage owner returned from his travels, I called and asked him if his guys had told him what they had done to my car. He answered that yes and he wanted to put the car up on the rack and look at it. I dropped off the car that afternoon and the following morning he called and asked me to come down and look at it. He had installed a Ford 150 fuel filter with new nut/bolt band clamps. The splice was achieved using a "NAPA High Pressure Fuel Line Repair Kit". Needless to say I'm not very happy to have a splice back there but in the face of a $2,000 - $4,500 repair bill (for him) I let him talk me into it. I took the car out and did some quick acceleration tests and passing gear maneuvers to try and make it leak. It has been working successfully for a week. I will watch and report back if anything develops. I don’t recommend this procedure and hope my post inspires caution during your fuel filter maintenance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  
    Last edited by methos; 10-29-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Update.
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

Since the repair job we have put about 1,000 miles on the car and so far, so good. It's probably way too soon to say but maybe I made a big deal about nothing.... I think it will be hard to remember the F150 fuel filter 50,000 miles from now, even if I write it down... That might not be a big deal if I can take it off and go down to NAPA to get a new one, I think the connectors are going to be F150 specific... There was a reply on Sweedspeed that reported successful experience going through the access panels and working the fittings loose. I never even considered going in that way but it might be helpful to someone. When I saw the car on the garage lift it seemed there was plenty of room to go in from under the car. I barely remember replacing the fuel filter 60,000 miles ago from under the car, I remember it being kind of a pain but relatively easy. On a garage lift it should have been a 10 minute job...
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

There are fuel line splice kits available but they are not cheap . That f**k up was the shop's (unless they called to tell you they were having trouble and got your approval to proceed) responsibility. I assume the fuel lines are plastic / nylon or non-metal something stuff.
    Google for info on plastic fuel line repair for more knowledge .