Default Trailer Unit Light 'problems'!

After close on 3 months I have finally resolved the ‘Dashboard Trailer Lights ‘Error’ Messages’ on Flamenco Red which I must admit has been at times very frustrating!

While there was nothing wrong with the Brake & Indicator Bulbs that were fitted in the lights on the ‘TinTent’ (Caravan) as they worked, it seems that there was a very small difference in the ‘Circuit Resistance’ of both the Brake & Indicator bulbs which points to a rather questionable design and subsequent operation of the Volvo Trailer Module.

While this ‘problem’ never occurred on the previous XC70 which had a different Volvo Trailer Module fitted, which interestingly 'Fried' and the fitted 15A Fuse melted, after about 3 months when it was moved to Flamenco Red along with the tow bar!

I also could not get the problem to appear when the ‘TinTent’ and the ‘old bulbs’ were connected to a different tow car which also has the bulb failure recognition system installed

The Dashboard ‘Trailer Bulb Failure’ messages have now stopped after new bulbs were fitted in both Brake & Indicator bulb holders.

Having said all that my ongoing concern is also that putting new bulbs in could be a short term solution as the resistance in the bulbs as they are being used could once again become unbalanced in which case the Volvo Trailer Unit will once again start acting up!

I guess meanwhile the only 'upside' is that now I know what to do, so I don't start cleaning contacts on all the bulbs and spade connectors, then checking the plug & socket between the 'TinTent' and car again.

I have also asked the dealer to put this to Volvo Cars for an answer, so will now have to wait and see what happens.

Good that it is fixed. Hopefully for good.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Good that it is fixed. Hopefully for good.
    As that will depend on the resistance level (in Ohms) between the bulbs and how 'fickle' the Volvo Trailer Unit wants to get in the future then....

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.