Default 2015 Volvo XC70 vs. Jeep GC Summit

OK, these are the two cars I want. I am 50/50. Welcome comments what you think is the better choice. Note, whatever car I get will be fully loaded - all the bells and whistles.

Important to me:
    - handling (love a tight feeling drive, connected to the road)
    - space for me and four dependents (3 of them are small kids)
    - unique factor (i see JGCs all over the place)...i like the fact that are not many XC-70s on the road.

Not Important to me:
    - 4x4 capability (only for the occasional snow)
    - stealership service, maintainence costs, etc. - all cars have problems, all stealerships suck. period.

Random questions:
    - is there a new generation xc-70 coming in 2016?
    - what is the color of the xc-70 on the volvo site? can i get that in the states?? seems all i see in the states is white.

Welcome thougts/comments.

one quick remark - you cannot compare XC70 with Grand Cherokee. These are two different classes of cars - one being crossover, sports wagon and the other typical SUV. The more obvious comparison would be XC90 vs the Jeep.

But let me take a dig - using socker point system:

- handling --> never drove a Jeep, but I can easily guess = XC70 (1) - Jeep (0)
    - space for me and four dependents (3 of them are small kids) --> again 2 different type of vehicles, but let's say = XC70 (1) - Jeep (1)
    - unique factor (i see JGCs all over the place)...i like the fact that are not many XC-70s on the road. --> well you answered your question = XC70 (2) - Jeep (1)

Not Important to me:
    - 4x4 capability (only for the occasional snow) --> obvious win for the Jeep - Volvo is AWD, not 4x4 = XC70 (2) - Jeep (2)
    - stealership service, maintenance costs, etc. - all cars have problems, all stealerships suck. period. --> again guess on my side, because never had a Jeep, but I owned Chrysler before - being a domestic vehicle Jeep has much lower cost on the parts; labor is probably the same. Volvo on the other hand have 2x and more price/unit ratio due to parts being manufactured outside US/Mexico. But the major point is Volvo does not brake so often as the Chrysler (I throw Jeep in the mix too), so visits to the stealership should be much rare comparable to any NA manufactured vehicle - so = XC70 (3) - Jeep (3)

Make you mind - and try XC90 - then we can talk seriously

My guess is that folks on a Volvo forum would tend to recommend the Volvo - go figure.

I presume you've asked the same in a Jeep forum.

I understand the appeal of both these vehicles. In fact, that is a choice I might be making myself in the foreseeable future.

I am not exactly in love with Jeep's interior, and Volvo's corporate ownership gives me a bit of a pause... Anyway, I have little to add to help you solve the dilemma, but like to chime in on XC70 off-pavement capabilities.

I never took a so called real 4x4 off road, and never took my XC70 windows-deep in mud (it probably would've stayed there). :-)

But, every time I needed to climb a muddy hill on a washed out forest road, every time I needed to get groceries in a few feet of snow, every time I wanted to drive on a beach in sand, or had to conquer a driveway frozen solid, the XC70 never let me down, often to the amazement of 4x4 owners witnessing it.

In mild, real life situations, I find that the so called AWD vehicles tend to peform better than 4x4s.

My favorite one was a few years ago (not exactly a clean experiment, as we all had different all-season tires, and drivers had different skills), a friend hosted a new years eve party. His short driveway was mostly covered with hard ice with patches of clear pavement in between.
    Represented were LR Discovery, Acura MDX, Toyota 4 Runner, Toyota Rav4, Toyota Highlander,and my XC70.
    Anyone cares to guess which vehicles had most trouble on the driveway, serious trouble too?
    Yes, Discovery, MDX, and 4-Runner, while others navigated the driveway just fine. I, behind the wheel of my XC70, hardly noticed anything, while the guy in Discovery looked like he is shooting a Discovery channel special.

All this may have to do with how weight is distributed, or with the overall weght, and not with the kind of AWD system, I don't know, just reporting what I saw.

P.S. Just remembered, I did rent a tiny real 4x4 (Suzuki Jimny) while vacationing on a remote island in the Caribbean. In 4WD Low mode the darn thing could climb ANITHING, and was able traverse ditches what would've buried almost any highway-worthy car. Top speed on the pavement 'though - 50mph, maybe, and not limited by the engine power, but by the ability to stay on the road. :-)
    Last edited by pelagikos; 09-18-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    =======================
    2003 XC70
    193,000 miles / first owner

I have considerably more miles behind the wheel of a true 4/WD than my XC....

That said, with 3 kids and your stated driving habits you'll find the XC much more enjoyable to drive and less costly overall to operate than any of the 4/WD's that I've owned..

(Disclaimer! I've never owned a Jeep newer than a '70's CJ)

Pardon me, but you are comparing the wrong products to each other.
    One can be a world class off road 4x4 but has considerable quality control issues and design and functionality.
    Guess which!
    The other is a great both on road and off road vehicle that has usually almost no design or quality issues.
    I purchased one Jeep Cherokee, never again.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Not to sound prejudiced here but I have some friends who bought a Jeep GC and year and a half or 2 ago. Their issues are with the electronics and ECU's, they have had multiple trips and tows to the dealership over these gremlins. Even as a Volvo fan for years, I had huge hopes for Fiat/Chrysler success, but their track record is looking grim

Quote Originally Posted by brentcd View Post
    Not to sound prejudiced here but I have some friends who bought a Jeep GC and year and a half or 2 ago. Their issues are with the electronics and ECU's, they have had multiple trips and tows to the dealership over these gremlins. Even as a Volvo fan for years, I had huge hopes for Fiat/Chrysler success, but their track record is looking grim
    Not to belittle the point but there is reason Alfa products until recently were not sold in the USA, plain old simple lack of quality forced Alfa from the USA market. I have to think Fiat/Alfa exists because it is an Italian product with subsidies from the Italian government and cheap prices for Italians. The recently introduced C4 sports car gets great press but when the actual examples get some driving time, I believe you will find the same old problems.
    The amalgamation of Fiat and Chrysler seems like the worst combination of two auto manufactureres one could have.
    Time will tell.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

If handling, driver feel is important to you and not 4x4 capabilities then I'd suggest an Audi and neither a Jeep or an XC70

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    If handling, driver feel is important to you and not 4x4 capabilities then I'd suggest an Audi and neither a Jeep or an XC70
    Hello. I'd go with the elegant Volvo hands down. Good luck