Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by 740gle View Post
    I have "Low battery" message popping up every time when I shut the engine but keep listening to the radio, or talking on the phone with bluetooth or phone charger on. It takes only about 20-30 seconds for it to pop-up. Really annoying !!!. After another 30 secs or so it goes into "power save mode" shuts down the bluetooth and radio, and possibly something else?.
    Just had car at the dealer for 67.5 Kmiles, they tested the battery and it passed all the "VIDA tests", service manager tried to convince me that this is "normal" behavior. Really?
    I understand that listening to the radio drains the battery, but I used to be able to do it for at least 30-40 mins before with no visible effect on the battery. My Subaru Legacy has no problems with it. It started doing it few month ago. They did some software update when I was at the dealer at 60Kmiles service, is it related? Is the hot weather a factor here?
    The car is 2011 XC70 3.2. It's under CPO warranty. 67.5Kmiles.
    My car is a 2012 XC60 3.2. My wife has a 2012 S60. She can turn the car off and continue a phone call for several minutes without receiving any low battery warnings. I have to open the door and get out of my car quickly before the low battery light comes on. I never have any difficulty with starting the car. Have you diagnosed this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SavileGreyXC View Post
    My car is a 2012 XC60 3.2. My wife has a 2012 S60.
    What battery is in each car? The batteries the Volvo Dealers sell in my area come from Interstate. They put Volvo stickers on them at the dealer and Interstate stickers when I buy them. I have found that the only battery in the Interstate range that keeps the low voltage warning off in the later (2010+cars) is the MTP92/t7 battery. Interestingly it has a made in Germany sticker on it. Other Interstate batteries do not. Volvo sells it as a 30772236.

Interstate listed a mtp48/h6 as fitting many cars 1999 and up, and it does fit and work fine - but you will get a low voltage warning on some later (maybe 2010+) cars. Volvo sells that battery under the number 30772221.
    Last edited by hoonk; 03-20-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Aside from the annoyance factor, is the low battery message correlated with any substantive battery performance issues (such as slow cranking or impending failure)?

My Volvo branded battery (part number 30772221), installed by the dealer about 2.5 years ago, started showing the message occasionally this past winter. The car is kept in my garage, and at the time was mostly being driven around town, except for two Texas to Florida round trips that fall. The dealer checked the battery and electrical system and found no problems, and said that the low battery message was "normal." This doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me, especially since I'm planning another long road trip.

2013 XC70 3.2 FWD

Quote Originally Posted by randyn View Post
    My Volvo branded battery (part number 30772221), installed by the dealer about 2.5 years ago, started showing the message occasionally this past winter.
    Yes the 30772221 will do that, I have waranteed out several (almost every one I put in a 2011+ car) and replaced them with the 30772236 (interstate mtp92/t7)

i promise if the dealer would put a 30772236 in, the low voltage warning will not come up as easily.
    Last edited by hoonk; 07-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.

interstate mtp92/t7 seems NLA. Google does not find any vendor? WHere can one get it? Replacement, perhaps?

I agree, it is not listed as an option on the Interstate website. I sold my shop 6 months ago so I don't have any recent experience with the mtp92 - but last January I had 4 in stock, I imagine Interstate must have replaced it with something since their driver/salesman revealed they supplied all the batteries to the local dealer also.

That battery (Mtp92/h7) had a made in germany sticker on it, the other interstate batteries did not.

It looks like Interstate now specifies an absorbed glass mat battery (agm), MTx-48/H6. Those tend to hold a higher voltage.
    Last edited by hoonk; 07-10-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Default Low battery message --- solved?

As one of the contributors to this thread a couple of years ago, I wanted to give an update with some good news.

Background: since my previous post, I continued to get the low battery message, especially when the sound system was still running after the engine had been shut down. Late last fall, I got a new message on one occasion: "Low battery, power save mode." The problem continued through the winter, but was no worse than in other seasons. At no time was the engine slow to crank or start.

Last month, I took it in to the dealer for a scheduled service, and I asked them to check out the battery and electrical system. Both were normal. They suggested a software update that might help. The update targeted the ECU, the transmission and some other stuff I can't recall. I had them do the update, and in the three weeks since then, the low battery message has not recurred. Keeping fingers crossed.

If anyone is interested, I can try to find out the version/number of the update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5015 2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	9226
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2013 XC70 3.2 FWD 60K miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12