Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Radiative heat is nothing at these temperatures, look at the formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal..._heat_transfer

Air flow above DEM at highway speed is turbulent, it will suck out every Joule out of DEM as long as DEMs temperature is below environmental temperature. Given that DEM's CPU prematurely fails due to overheat, and automotive grade electronics sustains heat at least of 85C (water boiling point minus 15C), air temperature should be really high to transfer heat in opposite direction.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    It can't reflect too much heat, since radiation component of usual temperatures on Earth surface is not substantial to account for in heat exchange process.

What this cover really does, I think, is just protecting DEM from road debris. Oh, and it looks cool
    +1

As for the 10 year old DEM, how many electronics do you own still working over ten years old with frequent abusive use and without any service, not many I would think. I know I don't, I have a box of misfit electronics that I pick and pull from when I can, one day I'll scrap them for the board/batteries.

Given the conditions the DEM puts up with I think it is quite durable as is, adding a sheild can possible trap heat that the unit is producing and I've not heard of anyone damaging the DEM from road debris or rough roads.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Not concerned with radiated heat transfer while moving, how about sitting still with heat radiating from the exhaust?, Or parked while hot?
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    Not concerned with radiated heat transfer while moving, how about sitting still with heat radiating from the exhaust?, Or parked while hot?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsize_9898.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	6487

That is a good point, but i still think that leaving it open is better then installing a plate.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12