Default Engine Control Module code scanned & DIM/Cluster issues

Hey guys!

I have a 2002 v70xc with 180k on it. Got it Scanned today, and realized I have a reoccurring code that has been overlooked due to other issues at the time of scans. if anyone knows possible causes/remedies for this code I would appreciate it! I am fairly new to the Volvo world, and just started doing my own work so any information helps!

Code:P0607
    Engine Control Module (ECM), Internal Fault.
    Signal too High/ Signal too Low. Intermittent Fault

I recently started having problems with the DIM message display, the words show up Scrambled. Could this be related to the code listed above? I have researched a couple different options, ie. Reflow lead with soldering iron, find way to cool overheating CEM, sending cluster to be rebuilt. I am going to investigate the cluster this weekend when I have access to my dads garage.

History:
    Upon buying the car in 2013 with 150k. we changed oil/new oil filter/flushed trans fluid/new trans filter/new PCV/B4 servo cover/piston kit/Trans cooler.
    Feb: 170k the wagon's Alternator failed. New alternator/battery/drive belt/tension pulley were installed(unfortunately I don't have codes recorded from these repairs but I believe it was there).
    May: 175k code was definitely present, along with a list of Miss-fired cylinders/ignition coil cylinders. Coil Packs/Sparkplugs fixed that power issue.
    it is doing the tell tale 2-3 shift flare. I have an extra trans that was pulled off a car that had the same specs as mine, I am going to get it rebuilt and my mechanically inclined dad is going to help put it in my car. Then I will get the update.

Quote Originally Posted by engywookiethewagon View Post
    Hey guys!

I have a 2002 v70xc with 180k on it. Got it Scanned today, and realized I have a reoccurring code that has been overlooked due to other issues at the time of scans. if anyone knows possible causes/remedies for this code I would appreciate it! I am fairly new to the Volvo world, and just started doing my own work so any information helps!

Code:P0607
    Engine Control Module (ECM), Internal Fault.
    Signal too High/ Signal too Low. Intermittent Fault

I recently started having problems with the DIM message display, the words show up Scrambled. Could this be related to the code listed above? I have researched a couple different options, ie. Reflow lead with soldering iron, find way to cool overheating CEM, sending cluster to be rebuilt. I am going to investigate the cluster this weekend when I have access to my dads garage.

History:
    Upon buying the car in 2013 with 150k. we changed oil/new oil filter/flushed trans fluid/new trans filter/new PCV/B4 servo cover/piston kit/Trans cooler.
    Feb: 170k the wagon's Alternator failed. New alternator/battery/drive belt/tension pulley were installed(unfortunately I don't have codes recorded from these repairs but I believe it was there).
    May: 175k code was definitely present, along with a list of Miss-fired cylinders/ignition coil cylinders. Coil Packs/Sparkplugs fixed that power issue.
    it is doing the tell tale 2-3 shift flare. I have an extra trans that was pulled off a car that had the same specs as mine, I am going to get it rebuilt and my mechanically inclined dad is going to help put it in my car. Then I will get the update.
    Only time we have had a car come into the shop that i have seen with that code, The connector to the ecm was corroded. But using vadis i have this info.

P0607 translates to Volvo specific code ECM-711A: "Control module, internal fault." [Users of VADIS can find the conversion chart I used under Group 2, "Diagnostic Information/General Diagnostics and Test", subgroup 20, "Conversion table..."] And I quote VADIS: "Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-711A is stored if the engine control module (ECM) registers a fault in the internal circuit for the timer in the control module."

The first thing to check is the battery, check the voltage, inspect for loose/corroded terminals, for example like speed70 said, the connector to the ecm was corroded. Also inspect the grounds/wiring at the PCM. Another common solution for a P0607 code seem to be either replace the PCM or update (re-flash) the PCM with updated software.