Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My 2005 had two bad OEM coils before 74K miles, replaced by the previous owner.. I replaced all with IPD coils a few months ago, and the load miss improved noticeably, but have lately noticed, particularly in hot (upper 90's) weather a pronounced load miss. Now, my Volvo plugs have about 25k on them, so I want to pull one and see how the electrodes look.
    The other thing that I think should be considered is partially plugged injectors at about the 100K mark. I have used Witchhunter Performance http://www.witchhunter.com/in the past for injector cleaning, and was very happy!
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Swapped out my coils for HD units just for the hell of it and I happy with the build quality of them. They are able to generate a spark at high load (16psi) on a 0.025" spark gap and no issues with misfires so far. I keep one stock coil in my spare wheel well just in case, I still have the other 4 OE with 60K on them on the shelf, anybody local need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    My 2005 had two bad OEM coils before 74K miles, replaced by the previous owner.. I replaced all with IPD coils a few months ago, and the load miss improved noticeably, but have lately noticed, particularly in hot (upper 90's) weather a pronounced load miss. Now, my Volvo plugs have about 25k on them, so I want to pull one and see how the electrodes look.
    The other thing that I think should be considered is partially plugged injectors at about the 100K mark. I have used Witchhunter Performance http://www.witchhunter.com/in the past for injector cleaning, and was very happy!
    It would also be a good idea to reduce your spark gap to around 0.026"-0.028" and maybe check you fuel filter.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-14-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Swapped out my coils for HD units just for the hell of it and I happy with the build quality of them. They are able to generate a spark at high load (16psi) on a 0.025" spark gap and no issues with misfires so far. I keep one stock coil in my spare wheel well just in case, I still have the other 4 OE with 60K on them on the shelf, anybody local need one?

It would also be a good idea to reduce your spark gap to around 0.026"-0.028" and maybe check you fuel filter.
    Why reduce the gap? Hotter coils can fire across a larger gap. Fuel filter was replaced 20K ago, but a tank of bad gas could foul it. I will pick one up next time I am down by IPD.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    Why reduce the gap? Hotter coils can fire across a larger gap. Fuel filter was replaced 20K ago, but a tank of bad gas could foul it. I will pick one up next time I am down by IPD.
    Please explain your thinking on hotter coils being able to perform better because my understanding of electrical circuits is heat=resistance which is bad for current, unless your referring to the extra heat created created by performance coils as being "hotter coils". If you want a larger spark you want more current to flow in the primary winding so it can induce a larger voltage in the secondary.

Why reduce the gap? Just a suggestion, maybe you have a burnt valve just kidding.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-15-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Please explain your thinking on hotter coils being able to perform better because my understanding of electrical circuits is heat=resistance which is bad for current, unless your referring to the extra heat created created by performance coils as being "hotter coils". If you want a larger spark you want more current to flow in the primary winding so it can induce a larger voltage in the secondary.

Why reduce the gap? Just a suggestion, maybe you have a burnt valve just kidding.
    Hotter, I meant higher voltage output..., hence a spark that can bridge a larger gap, or be potentially more resistant to "blow out" from boost. Since copper has a positive temperature coefficient of resistance, as the coils get hot from engine heat, I suspect that their output is slightly lower. Also, there is a solid state switch in the coil that accepts the ECU output, and switches the coil on to ground at the time of ignition.
    Back in the day when we were adding capacitive discharge ignition systems to point and condenser cars, opening the plug gap noticeably improved drive ability, cold start and idle, etc.
    I don't know how many miles to expect from a set of the Volvo OE plugs. When I bought the car at 74K, the original plugs were shot, the small diameter center electrode was completely gone, eroded down to the larger part.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Engine shuddered and stopped after idling in parking lot while waiting to pick up daughter.
    Turned the key to Off, pulled out, and back in, turned the ignition, it started without hesitation.
    Gas was 1/3 tank full.
    It has shuddered before but engine never stopped running.
    Normal for last 48 hours. Gas tank full. Always grade 93.
    Last edited by Xheart; 08-26-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by jkochis View Post
    I just bought a set to be installed next week along with changing ALL driveline fluids including rear diff filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, replace last original driver side wheel bearing to refresh our 120k wagon. I recently did power steering fluid, antifreeze and brake fluid as well.

I also installed a set of the LED IPD license plate lights w/ new bulb holders.... give it that "new car" look since I will be driving this for many many more years....
    Had all the work done and so far so good.... Noticed as others have suggested much smoother midrange now... plus the best part is not I went from 24.5 MPG mixed driving to work to 26.5-27MPG.....
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Gentlemen, I have a couple related questions:

Couple months ago I bought an '02 XC with 205k on it. One owner vehicle that had all the service work done at the local Volvo dealer. I do not, however, have written records of everything done.

Anyway, within the past 500 miles I've had 2 of my coils fail. #3, and now #1. I assume it's just "their time," because the car actually runs wonderfully.

At this point I just replaced them with a couple $10 each coils from a salvage yard. However, that's obviously a crap shoot.

1. Would you guys recommend just replacing the entire set, or replace them as they go out?
    2. It sounds like Bosch or IPD are the coils of choice. Are there others any of you would suggest? Any to avoid?

I ran across these coils. Much cheaper, but they do have a lifetime warranty on them. Steer clear of them?
    http://www.1aauto.com/cart

Thanks!
    Last edited by JeffHicks; 08-24-2014 at 09:12 PM.

I don't have any info on the reliability of the IPD coils. The IPD claim to fame is a demonstrably higher output voltage which is believed to be resistant to "blow out" from high boost levels. My car exhibited what I refer to as a "load miss". The IPD coils seemed to minimize that effect immediately upon installation. Something similar has returned under certain circumstances, as I noted in my prior post. The cause is unknown at this time.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

I'm getting multiple misses at 6.5k-7k rpm, ~16psi, on a 0.025" gap, but I shouldn't be pushing it that hard anyways .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast