Default v70xc Driveshaft fix - has worked for me for 3 years

1999 v70 XC Driveshaft Fix

This might not be perceived as permanent fix, and most certainly not suggested by Volvo Stealerships or mechanics. But has continued to work for me for over 3 years.

After feeling and listening to a rumbling coming from the suspension whenever making a slow turn to either side and replacing two sets of front axles I finally came to the realization that the rumbling was not the Axle CVs. A friend mechanic confirmed for me that it was the driveshaft cv joint. Though the CV was actually ok and that the rumbling was coming from the torn vulcanized rubber surrounding the center bearing. Whenever there is an out of sync between the front and rear wheels, the center bearing would wobble because of the loose bearing. So, instead of spending $1000 on a new driveshaft to just replace the center bearing mount, I ended up spending $4.00 on some 3/8" x 3" x 8 1/2" solid rubber strip, which can be got at any hardware store that carries plumbing supplies. Plus, 6 heavy tie wraps.

Drop the center hanger and unbolt the bearing mount. Using a knife, cut the high spots of the rubber surrounding the inside of the mount. Do much the same around the bearing, but cut only the thin part of the vulcanized rubber leaving a high spot around the bearing. Slide the rubber strip into the mount and center it (leave it the full width of 3"). The drill a hole through the rubber close to each side of the mount to pull the tie wraps through and around both the rubber and mount. Once you have the rubber strip in place, see that the bearing will slide snugly back into the mount. Bolt everything back up in place and go enjoy a nice quiet drive now!

If you need pictures, well I don't really feel like dropping the whole center mount back down again. If I find I need to replace this sometime in the future, then I'll post pictures. After all its been over 3 years now. Last I saw it, everything was still there not deteriorated. Took me about an hour to fix things up.

Cheers,

Brian
    Last edited by briankerr; 07-31-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Add year to vehicle

I'm considering a repair. Installed a rebuilt from WholesaleImportParts.com several years ago and only got about 35k out of the center support bearing. They offer a 1 year warranty and offered to rebuild for me at full price. My car has nearly 190k on it now and I'm not interested in spending the dough. I was planning to buy 4 inch diameter steel washers, cut them to fit over the roughly 1 3/4 inch diameter shaft yoke and fasten them in place on each side of the bearing support housing prior to filling the cavity with a high density rubber caulk such as Lexel.

I like the sound of your solution, but don't quite understand your description. Wondering if you articulate a little more carefully?

Marty

$1,000 for a driveshaft? Contact http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com .
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the cost and quality.
    You'll also get considerably more than 35K out of one of their rebuilds.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

My repair worked for the most part. But the problem that showed up was when going over 60mph a rumbling would start. Relising the my repair was a temp fix, I ordered the ColoradoDriveShaft about a week afterwards. Though the fix did work in the meamtime while I waited for the rebuilt drive shaft.