Default 2004 Transmission FLuid change question

Over the last week I have been bombarding myself with reading on the process to change the transmission fluid on my car, but after reading so many different articles I now feel I need some clarification on something regarding the diy transmission flush.

I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T. My questions are :-

1) do i disconnect the upper or lower line off of the radiator?
    2) Once I have disconnected the correct line, do i put my hose on to the radiator or on to the line i pulled off?

I've read many things including the IPD instructional pdf, and the following link http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...pic.php?t=8767 and other posts elsewhere and as they were mostly from 2006 i couldn't really clear it up myself so thought I would just ask. I am a competent person with this sort of thing and have all the bits ready to do it, I just don't want to make a mess!

Can someone clear this up before i begin please?

Kind regards

Andy.

Assuming it's the same on a XC70 with same engine, you'll disconnect the line going into to the top of the radiator (driver's side for US/left side). Then put your hose going to your clear jug with markings into the radiator. When you start the car, it will "pump" out ATF fluid. I marked off a line at 2 quarts on my jug and shut the car off when it reaches that line. Then refill with 2 new quarts and repeat.

The first time I was uber careful, reading, plotting and executing. I just did the second time and it took me about an hour from start to finish. Not a bad job at all, slightly more difficult than an oil change once you have the right diameter hose and marked jug.

Good luck!

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Andy,

This video should help. He uses a different ATF fluid than the forum recommends and he has installed an in-line filter. But other than that, it should show you what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WfY8MQc1B8

Volvo Newb
    2001 v70XC

Thank you both of you.

All went well, although i purchased only 8 lits (8.5 quarts) of Mobil 3309 fluid. We could only replace that amount obviously so i didn't flush it fully. Bit of a schoolboy error but nothing i read told me how much to get so i went with the capacity of the transmission. I obviously need to get about 5 more litres to do a full flush. I'm hoping this will be okay? Any thoughts on this?

The video was very useful, and he used 13 quarts to do a full flush. I only watched it up to the point of my question, and then cracked on with it. I wish i had seen the whole video beforehand and i would have ordered more fluid.

So just to clarify, to everyone, you do indeed remove the top line, and push your hose in to the rad. Presumably if you removed the bottom line, you attach your hose to the line itself, but that's in a much trickier place to get to, so the top line is easier and therefore makes more sense to use.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy.

Can I ask how you filled the trans each time you added 2 quarts? Did you use a funnel into the dipstick tube or did you use some tubing to make it easier? If so, what diameter tubing will fit into the dipstick port?
    Also, in reading this procedure, it wasn't clear about the OD of the tube going into the radiator; I read that someone used 9/16" tubing with teflon tape, so I assume they meant 9/16" ID, but I would like to be sure.
    Thanks