Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Evaporator sensor

I am in the unfortunate position that the evaporator sensor has died in my 2008 XC70 and the Volvo dealer is quoting me £945 to replace it. All labour bar a few quid. It is 30 degrees outside and the car is not a nice place to be in. Does anyone know how to get at the sensor without having the cost of taking all the console out. If it is in an out of the way place I would consider cutting a hole in the trim to get at it and does anyone have a picture of where I it is.

Thanks

Blades - are you talking about the expantion valve...I am looking at VIDA and can't find any description of "evaporator sensor". This is what VIDA says:

"There are five main components in the climate control system:

evaporator
    receiver drier (integrated with the condenser)
    compressor
    condenser
    expansion valve.
    "
    Here's what you can do. Go to the dealer for a quote and make sure they list the part numbers. Then I can look up for you in VIDA and may get some more info.

Kiril

ok - I think I found it. It is called "Temperature Sensor" and part number is 30767019. Seems very easy to replace. See the attachments from VIDA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic01.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	6366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic02.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	6367

you can see how it looks like here:

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr...hTerm=30767019

Let me know if this helps.

Kiril

There is an Evaporator temp sensor that I have seen go bad. Might be #30767019 (for a 2008). Here they are a $28 part and it only takes a few minutes to install. There is another temp sensor on the ac box that is $235 and a pain to get in - have never seen a bad one of those, although my techs have misdiagnosed those as being bad (in other words I have purchased and installed, then removed that temp sensor and found the real problem which was the $28 part!)

If the Evap temp sensor goes bad and tells the control unit it is very cold (when it's not), the compressor won't run.

well - get me the part# and I will look VIDA - there are instructions of how to replace these parts, but I am afraid that it might require system evacuation - then it will be costly...

Wow.

I didn't expect such a quick response. Thankyou.
    I had an independant air con firm check the car out and they diagnosed that it was the evaporator temperature sensor. My Volvo dealership advised me that the whole dash and console had to come out in order to fit the part which was around £20. I think you are spot on Hoonk the #30767019 sounds to be the right thing. slayer8870 I guess you are left hand drive ? I presume the aircon unit isn't reversed so sensor should be on the left somewhere. Some pictures show it fitting at the back and others show it fitting at the side.

Is there any more info you can get for me. ?

Thanks

I checked the procedure to remove the temperature sensor for right hand drive and it gives me the same pics, so I would assume that the sensor will be in your passenger side - e.g. on the left. And you should expect that because they don't make a whole reverse version of the climate unit for R.H.D cars...that would be too expensive. you mentioned that some pictures show the fitting on the back and some on the side...what do you mean by that? The only pics I saw for this sensor were the ones I attached in my previous post...

Kiril

Thanks Slayer8870.

In the exploded view on the link to the partswebstore ithe first picture shows item 16 (the sensor) pointing to the back of something rather and the second picture shows it pointed to the side.

Thanks all for your input. I may well take a more closer look this weekend.

I see what you mean...well I've never seen it in real, but probably has some extension that goes into the floor or something. Take it apart and you'll see what is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Blabes View Post
    My Volvo dealership advised me that the whole dash and console had to come out in order to fit the part
    The labor operation is 87224 - In Volvos standard time guide it's billed @ .2 hours warranty time so it can't take long to replace after it is diagnosed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast