Default Suspicious Oil Leak After Dealer Trans Flush

I went to the dealer for a transmission flush on my 2002 xc70, and to check for trans updates as my trans has had a hard shift from Park to Drive. I came home, went to drive away the next day, there was a pool of oil and a trail on my driveway. I called the dealership, brought the car in again the next day, and they said the bevel gear is leaking. Funny they didn't notice the leak when they did the flush They said I could have the seals done for $700 or the gear might be gone which would be $3000 or just keep an eye on the fluid leak and the the car may possibly just go into FWD instead of AWD. I asked if the bevel gear had anything to do with the trans - they said no.

I didn't ever have oil in my driveway before the trans flush and it was IMMEDIATELY after the flush I noticed the leak. They insisted it had leaked for some time and was being caught in the oil pan (I think the independent Volvo mechanic I used would have notice that when he changed my oil.) I said no, it's only been since I had the flush.

The oil leaking does not appear to be engine oil nor not trans fluid, and the color is between trans fluid and engine oil - ready brown, no smell. My engine oil is fresh, so easy to differentiate the color.

I got a call from a customer service agent from the dealership after the initial trans flush, and he asked me how my service went. I told him what happened and he assured me the service advisor was very good at what he does, and to perhaps call Volvo Canada to see what they could do. WTF!!!! What would they do for $%# sake????? I have contacted them and explained my concern over the mysterious oil leak after servicing but have yet to hear from them. Will post the result when I do.

Has anyone had similar problems after servicing? Could they have sabotaged my vehicle for more service $$???? What on earth do I do - get a lawyer? I see why most of you do your own, but I don't know how to and have nowhere to do it if I did. No garage + I am female NOT THAT THAT MATTERS, but I'm just sayin' .
    Last edited by Luvmyvolvoxc70; 07-15-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: missed the year and model

Maybe they took it out for a joy ride and really gave you AWD system a work out, causing an already weakened seal to leak, conspiracies ensue. I'm sure if you took it to a Volvo dealer that they wouldn't sabotage your vehicle, and if you think they caused it, your going to have to prove that somehow, but you know, squeaky wheel get the grease, so if anything you may be able to get something from them.

Good Luck.

Also how many miles?
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Thanks, yeah - it's hard to prove except by the word of the independent mechanic who saw the car 2 weeks before. He never mentioned a leak, and after all, there was no leak or I would have seen it in the driveway.

Miles are 143,000 (miles - U.S. car)

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmyvolvoxc70 View Post
    Thanks, yeah - it's hard to prove except by the word of the independent mechanic who saw the car 2 weeks before. He never mentioned a leak, and after all, there was no leak or I would have seen it in the driveway.

Miles are 143,000 (miles - U.S. car)
    Once a car is out of warranty, plus add the brotherhood factor, you will spend good money keeping this car on the road.
    You will be looking at fluid leaks often. Every seal and gasket is on its way out.
    Look for ways to DIY, else...
    Last edited by Xheart; 07-16-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

A 12 year old car (same as mine) and over 140,000 miles (much fewer than mine) anything can happen. Correlation (between dealer and service and leak) is not causality (dealer service caused leak).

Mine just blew an engine seal...it was leaving a visible trail of oil...more on that later when I pull some parts to chase it down...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default Shop time to re-seal adding new sleeve????

What is the shop/repair time to re-seal and replace sleeve in bevel gear assembly? Do you know? Any info helpful. Been quoted 5 hrs by independent mechanic.