Default XC70 manual trans

I recently saw an 03' XC70 with a manual trans for sale in MD (its gone now) I cant find another for sale in the US, and from researching it i can see they weren't actually sold in the US with the manual trans. this must have been a canadian car, is it hard to get a car here from canada? what paperwork/ issues are there? or if I got a manual trans from a V70 in the US would that work for a swap? I'm new to volvos, as a subaru mechanic (subarus are like lego's, almost everything is interchangeable in all subaru models)I have converted auto to manual but i don't know if the XC is different to the V, I'm guessing its the same just lifted, like a legacy VS a legacy outback, just taller?

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ghlight=manual

Others have tried a manual swap, there are a couple of links to those cases in this thread.

Probably a Euro car, I don't think you could get a P2 manual in Canada either
    It's VERY hard and problematic getting a tune that works Otherwise you're limited to 4000 RPM and you won't find a transmission here, you would need to go with a 6 speed and that has its own set of issues to install
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    It's VERY hard and problematic getting a tune that works Otherwise you're limited to 4000 RPM and you won't find a transmission here, you would need to go with a 6 speed and that has its own set of issues to install
    thanks for the info. I'll keep it auto

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I've seen a fair number of XCs up here and have never seen a manual car. If I had I would have bought it. A fair number of P2 V70s (non turbos BTW) with manual but over all the Canadian market is just like the US one where auto trannies are now the norm.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I was recently in Paris and every xc I saw was a d5 with a 5 speed. So if you wanted to ship over an entire front clip from a euro car you could swap it in much easier.
    2002 v70 xc White/Tobacco
    Touring Package, Cold Weather Package, Intro-Premium Package, Audio Max
    180k+ on ORIGINAL Autotragic GirlTronic

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger XC View Post
    I was recently in Paris and every xc I saw was a d5 with a 5 speed. So if you wanted to ship over an entire front clip from a euro car you could swap it in much easier.
    ya, front clips are fun, I have done a couple JDM STi and twin turbo EJ20H swaps (subaru stuff) from front clips, but only fun little cars from japan. never done any euro stuff (yet) the XC is my wifes and she would get mad if I started modding her car like I do mine I was just wondering for myself, I'm thinking of getting a volvo for myself, but so far the only one I want is a P2 V70R 6spd awd.