Default Coolant Reservoir Empty

Ok, I hate to admit it, but my 04 is starting to worry me a little. Past while, it's been burning more gas than usual, and lacking some power. No unusual smells or anything like that. I started it on Monday and the engine sounded weird but as soon as it warmed up, it seemed fine.

This morning, started the car - low coolant warning. Went out thinking it was 'another' coolant sensor issue, but no. Low and behold the entire reservoir was bone dry. Weird.

I'm thinking that it's either three things:
    1. Head gasket is gone and running the car while it leaks into the engine is destroying it.
    2. It might be a simple leaking hose or loose clamp. Car IS 10 years old.
    3. It's just normal usage and I haven't been really paying attention.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

Ed

Hello Ed,it could be something simple as the seal on the cap.Refill the reservoir but before you put the cap back on take the rubber out of the cap and turn it over.Refit the cap and see how that goes.

Fingers crossed that's all it'll be.Good luck

Regards

Jason

I had low light come on... never really checked on a normal basis but once I refilled and I keep checking all has been fine. I noticed our Pilot after 2yrs was low as well, so topped that one off.
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Check the radiator, especially the tanks for leaks. I replaced mine last year with a radiator from IPD, they source from 1-800-RADIATORS. It fit fine, but the core is slightly thinner, and appears to be a lower fin count. If I had to do again, I think I would buy an OEM from one of the online dealers. Not too bad to change, all three cores come out the bottom. No need to dump the AC.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

I'm going to bet that the radiator is leaking since it's very common for them to leak because the end tanks are mounted to the frame and hold the condensor and intercooler.

I didn't notice mine was leaking until i was changing a fog light light bulb since the radiator is covered underneath with the shield along with the engine shield so they held the leak from dripping on the ground pretty good.

I would remove the shield underneath the radiator since it's easy to do and take a quick look at the end tanks.

I replaced my radiator in the driveway with a Nissens brand one from FCPeuro. It's looks well built and went in without a hassle.

Same thing...found crusty coolant remains by the thermostat housing...very hard to see unless you're looking.

Replaced the thermostat.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (76K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post

I'm thinking that it's either three things:
    1. Head gasket is gone and running the car while it leaks into the engine is destroying it.
    2. It might be a simple leaking hose or loose clamp. Car IS 10 years old.
    3. It's just normal usage and I haven't been really paying attention.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

Ed
    Or, like mine a while ago, it was a hairline crack in the coolant overflow bottle ... replaced it and all was fine again.
    Pierre

2016 V40 D4 AT
    2010 XC60 3.0T AT
    2004 Mazda Miata 1.8 - My new toy and restoration project ... Not everything you do in life has to be rational!

Gone: 2015 V40 D3 AT, 2002 V70XC 2.4T AT, 2007 S60 2.5T Manual, 2004 S60 2.0T Manual, 1996 850 GLT Manual