Default Clunk on downshifts on my 2008 XC90 (4.4l v8)

I've noticed that my 2008 XC90 (61,000 miles) has started to make a slight "clunk" or low snapping noise when it shifts down. It doesn't seem to happen every time and I think I only started noticing it happening when the temperature outside is over 70F. Most noticeable while rolling without breaks to a slow stop.

Is this normal?

My car is under warranty and I tried to have the transmission flushed at 60,000 miles but every place I took it said that Volvo doesn't recommend changing the fluid unless doing "heaving towing". They said I would be better not changing it and waiting for a problem under warranty. This seems weird since Toyota uses the same tranny and recommends a fluid exchange every 60k.

Quote Originally Posted by sovamind View Post
    I've noticed that my 2008 XC90 (61,000 miles) has started to make a slight "clunk" or low snapping noise when it shifts down. It doesn't seem to happen every time and I think I only started noticing it happening when the temperature outside is over 70F. Most noticeable while rolling without breaks to a slow stop.

Is this normal?

My car is under warranty and I tried to have the transmission flushed at 60,000 miles but every place I took it said that Volvo doesn't recommend changing the fluid unless doing "heaving towing". They said I would be better not changing it and waiting for a problem under warranty. This seems weird since Toyota uses the same tranny and recommends a fluid exchange every 60k.
    Not sure what your clunk issue is. But I got my tranny fluid replaced at the dealers at 52,500 service. They also reset the fluid quality counter back to 100% and I could not me any more happier with the way my car shifts . I plan to do it again at 100k miles.

Honestly I would not recommend you change the fluid until they isolate what your issue because you are covered under warranty, otherwise someone might blame it on the transmission fluid change.