Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cloud Of Smoke & Engine Codes P0333 P0422... Just Bought It

So I just bought my 2nd Volvo a 2001 V70 XC. ive had it for a while when out of nowhere the tailpipe spit out a cloud of smoke at the gas station..... I just drove it half a mile to the gas station and then back.
    I did need to change the oil and I've heard this could be a turbo? I have three codes read p0201 po333 po422. So Injector Open Cylinder 3, knock sensor, and Cat/O2. So if it is the turbo can that cause all three of those codes?
    P0422(Cat/O2) due to the fact it may be spitting oil down the tailpipe, P0201(Injector Open) due to the turbo, and P0333 (Knock Sensor) IDK Just cuz?
    Please help me and if I have to replace the turbo will this be a difficult job?

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by mrscottg89 View Post
    So I just bought my 2nd Volvo a 2001 V70 XC.
    Where did you buy it from, I'd take it back them. How many miles? It could be your turbo, if you remove the pipe over then engine and take a look inside it should give you a good idea if it's spitting oil.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Where did you buy it from, I'd take it back them. How many miles? It could be your turbo, if you remove the pipe over then engine and take a look inside it should give you a good idea if it's spitting oil.
    Else, for starter, remove the engine protection from under, and look up.
    This is your first clue for P0422.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V70XC_0774.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	6170
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

What is the color of the smoke?

The car has 150k and the color of the smoke is blue.... I will be climbing under in the morning but I while calling around I heard that if I do the turbo I will need to do the oil lines and the cooling lines. Is that true, also is the turbo a hard DIY?

Blue smoke = turbo. It also means PCV needs to be done (root cause of turbo failure). Both can be done by the DIY. You need to send he turbo out to be rebuilt. Price range is between $425 to $600 depending on who does it. $400 price is a shop out of Ohio. $600 is what I paid locally.

Alright well here are some pics and videos for a better understanding....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140511_110751_340.jpg   IMG_20140511_114033_133.jpg  

Well it wont let me upload the video but all it is really is a look at the coolant, nasty oil, and the smoke coming out of the back..... Heres the thing about the rebuild.... I am in the budget of 100-200 and have local junkyards that have them pulled and tested for around 125-200 is that a bad route?
    Also I havent been able to find a tutorial on the turbo replacement anywhere is there any specifics I should know about... If I end up doing this I will break it down with some pictures to get those future onlookers an understanding of the replacement.

Pulling the turbo is not hard. It will come out the top with the cross brace and upper engine mount removed. I understand your budget concerns, whatever you do make sure you replace the PCV system first otherwise you will have another blown turbo. If it were me I would find the extra couple hundred and do it right.

One other note. Once you get it put back together it will still smoke. I had to take mine on a hundred mile drive to burn out all the remainder oil.

Quote Originally Posted by mrscottg89 View Post
    Well it wont let me upload the video but all it is really is a look at the coolant, nasty oil, and the smoke coming out of the back..... Heres the thing about the rebuild.... I am in the budget of 100-200 and have local junkyards that have them pulled and tested for around 125-200 is that a bad route?
    Also I havent been able to find a tutorial on the turbo replacement anywhere is there any specifics I should know about... If I end up doing this I will break it down with some pictures to get those future onlookers an understanding of the replacement.
    Take a look at the link on my signature. I've just upgraded my turbo and made a write up on my process. It isn't all that hard if you have the tools and the know how, hope you find the write up helpful. Also it's going to cost you quite a bit more then 200 to do it right like Tahoe said.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast