Default Climate control blower comes back on sometimes after car is shut off

2002 V70 XC, I seem to have an electrical gremlin. Sometimes if I have the climate control blower switch turned on when I shut off the car, and it's always somewhere partially on not full on, at some point maybe a few minutes after I turn the car off, I'll come back to the car and I hear the blower motor running fast enough that I can hear it outside of the car. It has come back on by itself and sounds like it is running at full speed. There are no LEDs lit on the blower speed selector switch at that point and everything else is still off. This is an intermittent problem but it never happens if I switch the blower motor completely off before turning off the car. If I forget to switch off the blower before turning off the car, as happened this afternoon, when I come back and hear the blower running, I put the key in and turn it back to the On position, turn off the blower, turn the key back off and the blower stays off permanently.

I've made a habit of turning the blower switch to the off position before I turn the key off, and if I follow this method I've never observed the blower having come back on while I was away.

When the problem occurs, after I turn the key back on I'm sure the blower speed switches from high speed back to the set speed when I turned off the car, and the number of LED's lit on the blower speed selector is where the blower speed was set when I turned off the car. At that point I turn off the blower then turn the key switch back off, and as expected the blower stays off.

FWIW I never use the Auto setting on the climate control. I have pushed the Auto button before so I can say that the Auto switch does toggle between Amber and green LEDs when you keep pressing it. But I always use manual settings. Just never thought about using Auto.

Anyone else ever experienced this? Turning off the blower before turning off the car seems to be an effective workaround. But I reckon this behavior can't be normal and I'm concerned that it could get worse where it does it even when I've turned the blower off before shutting off the car, and keep it running overnight or all day at work and maybe run the battery down.

I believe if you ran the AC within 5 minutes of turning the car and it's over a certain temp, it automatically runs the fan the dry out the AC system so it doesn't smell like mildew.

I have started using the AC more often lately as the weather has been consistently warmer here in the Mid-Atlantic.

That's by design.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

There is a programmable "afterblow" function built into most 01+ volvos. Approx 45 minutes after car is shut off the passenger compartment fan turns on to dry the evaporator- in an attempt to prevent the dirty sock smell ac units emit sometimes. If your fan does not operate as described below you could have a bad fan control unit.

From Vida:

The climate control module provides infinitely variable electronic blower fan control. When AUTO mode (only electronic climate control) is engaged the climate control module (CCM) adapts the blower fan speed to the setting of the controls and the vehicle speed. The blower fan can be set to run-on in order to reduce residual moisture in the evaporator.
    A timer located in the central electronic module (CEM) controls the run-on time. 50 minutes after the engine has been switched off and the ignition has been turned to position 0 or I the central electronic module (CEM) supplies power to the climate control module (CCM) and the blower fan is activated at full speed for 7 minutes. This run-on dries the evaporator and prevents bad odors.
    This function is programmed at the factory, but can be deactivated in the event of customer complaints via programming of customer parameters. Programming is carried out via VIDA.
    The function is only available to cars of structure week 199850 and later.
    Last edited by hoonk; 05-22-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks for all of the replies, especially the detailed description supplied by hoonk. I feel better now knowing what's going on, and it all makes sense, and of course it's not an issue at all. And I learned something. Good stuff.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it put my worries at ease.

Slightly off topic - try using Auto and just setting the temperature. Auto works great in the XC!

I NEVER use AUTO for a very good reason, the AC compressor is always on, Spring Summer, Fall and Winter (even when heat only is needed) and the compressor WILL have premature wear
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)