Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sexton7z View Post
    Hey guys I need to do this. Do I need to remove the subframe to get the cover off of the trans? Also how do you set the transmission in adaptation mode? Any help would be great. thanks
    To answer your questions directly:

1. You have to move the subframe a bit to get the cover off.

2. Adapt mode can only be done with VIDA.

Read through this: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...ment-Notes.pdf

Why do you think you need to do this? What are your symptoms? What have you done so far?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Astro14 the quick answer is my car is hanging up on the 2-3 shift and then sometimes its banging hard enough to chirp the tires. The three - four shift is doing close to the same. I saw a video on youtube talking about the b-4 servo sticking causing the same symptoms. They show the removal of the b-4 servo and then just kinda wipe it off and stick it back in. Go figure? Now I don't know which direction to go with it. The car has 237,000 miles on it, and still gets between 27.5 and 29 miles per gallon on the open road if you don't push her, I just rebuilt the front end and had it aligned and put four tires on it. I just don't know if its worth the effort. I have found the solenoids new on ebay for around $130 bucks. There' s also a servo kit on there with a new cover and o rings for $30. But if I would have to buy the vida and its software that is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by sexton7z View Post
    Astro14 the quick answer is my car is hanging up on the 2-3 shift and then sometimes its banging hard enough to chirp the tires. The three - four shift is doing close to the same. I saw a video on youtube talking about the b-4 servo sticking causing the same symptoms. They show the removal of the b-4 servo and then just kinda wipe it off and stick it back in. Go figure? Now I don't know which direction to go with it. The car has 237,000 miles on it, and still gets between 27.5 and 29 miles per gallon on the open road if you don't push her, I just rebuilt the front end and had it aligned and put four tires on it. I just don't know if its worth the effort. I have found the solenoids new on ebay for around $130 bucks. There' s also a servo kit on there with a new cover and o rings for $30. But if I would have to buy the vida and its software that is another story.
    B4 servo is pretty easy once you've done it. For first timers, can be PITA. Here are some tips

0. Jack up the front end and take off the driver side wheel for first timers. Space helps. With experience, just turning the wheel all the way right yields enough space.

1. Cover is only bad if internal washer has broken loose on pinch weld. Of course you can only see this after removal. The loose cover then allows play to the internal piston riding against it. Other side of the piston is to supply spring pressure against a brake (B4) band I believe. Here is a pic of failed washer. https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...art=10#p343176

2. The cover has to be pressed in slightly (note the internal piston has a spring on it, will feel this spring pressure when pressing the cover in) while removing the circlip. Guy in this youtube video made a smart jig that maintains compression pressure on the cover while getting the circlip off and back on. Can be much harder using Volvo's directions (screw driver leveraged on a shaft to apply compression pressure with one hand while the other hand work the circlip plier) The circlip plier has to be the squeezing rather than expansion type. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGOv1y603-A

3. When you remove the cover, be careful the internal piston don't fall out (piston pictured in link in #1) I often just remove it for safety, you can also put a bucket with bottom facing up with a towel on it so if drops, don't hit anything hard. I suppose some duct tape on the opening after cover is removed can help too. Just make sure you don't get sticky glue onto the piston. A little bit of ATF will come out, not much but enough to make your hand all slippery and job harder on the reinstall. Just clean it all off with a towel.

4. You'll get 3 o-rings with the new cover kit. Only 2 goes on the cover despite the new cover looking like it has 3 o-ring grooves (no o-ring on the center groove or cover won't go in if one is there, ask me how I know haha) Compared with old cover for reference on where to apply the o-ring. The 3rd supplied o-ring is for replacing the o-ring on the piston. Lubed the o-rings before install of course.

On these trannys, I always replace B4 servo cover with the new design just to eliminate this problem source. So its worth doing. But as hard as the shift you describe, maybe not save you from a solenoid and/or valvebody reconditioning. I also wonder at 240k miles, how much life is left in the mechanical gear system beyond the valvebody (which just to actuate/modulate hydraulic pressure to cause the mechanical clutch/band/gear system to shift)
    Last edited by howardc64; 07-08-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Since we are sort of imputing the problems, then I would go with this approach: start with the cheapest and work your way up the cost ladder...

1. B4 cover - about $30 and takes about 30 minutes the first time, 5 minutes the second time. Howard has a great description, I'll add that it takes some pressure to get it back in and place the retaining ring.

2. Fluid exchange. Do it all. Takes about 14 QTs and you'll need the O-rings to seal the line back into the radiator. About $100. Use Mobil 3309, or Toyota T-IV.

3. Valve body. About $500 for someone else to rebuild yours. Add another $100 for the dealer to put it in adapt mode. Read through my notes on how that works. You can do just the solenoid replacement, but if the SLT solenoid bore is worn, it will need to be re-sleeved (Sonnax makes a kit, and a rebuilder will have the tools to install that). So, solenoids alone might work, but I would go with the rebuild because of that bore wear.

4. Complete rebuild. About $3 - 6,000 depending on who does the work.

When it shifts smoothly, you're good. Let's hope that happens before you get to step 4...but if it's been banging hard enough to chirp the tires, you likely have a lot of wear taking place...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Hi all. New to the forum and this solenoid post is very timely!

My '02 has the shift flare problem and I will be moving down the path to fix as described here.

I see that a software upgrade is suggested. Is there a way to see what software is currently installed;without being hooked up to a VIDA?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by antwerx View Post
    I see that a software upgrade is suggested. Is there a way to see what software is currently installed;without being hooked up to a VIDA?
    I don't think there is a way.

Volvo did start offering complimentary software upgrades starting in 2015. Suppose to be free with any service. Some dealers require 30k while others require just an oil change. You might inquire your local dealer on their policy. http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...rvice-by-volvo
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll surely check this out with my local dealer.

"demanding" a 30K service is illegal
    it is strictly written any "service" will do but you must ask for a service, not just an oil change
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thank you JRL.

I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow. I'll also be ordering the B4 cover kit and giving that a go.

Thanks for all the input.

Hey all. I replying to give feedback as I try to eliminate this trans shift flare issue.

So following the info on the thread here.
    1. I've been doing the trans easy trans fluid dump, not the full on evacuate method, with each oil change. Twice now.
    2. Put the solenoid cap replacement on.

None of this has helped the shift flares. So...now I'm looking to do the Rostra solenoid replacement step. I don't have a great work area so am a bit hesitant to do the other solenoid rebuild option that is cheaper but needs grinding etc.

So once I do this next step I'll reply to report what my results are.

If anyone has a strong opinion about the solenoids; replace vs. rebuild I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for all the info!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast