Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

With all do respect, I think I may have answered these questions in obviously not too clear a manner.

The same day and prior to taking my XC70 to the dealership, I did in fact get the transmission fluid replaced at the most reputable transmission shop in Ottawa - B&N Transmission. As I stated, on the Volvo mechanic's advice I had planned to have the transmission oil replaced around 100,000 km. The fluid seemed to be OK and no other damage was found.

Having ruled the transmission out as a cause of the mysterious noise, next I took the car to the Volvo dealership. I had already noticed the green grease on the CV joint bellows and had been sent an extended warranty letter regarding defective seals in the steering rack. I was relieved that the Volvo mechanic did diagnose a defective rack seal and was happy to hear their solution was to entirely replace the steering rack and then do a front alignment.

So, I considered myself lucky to have this repaired at Volvo's expense and wanted other XC70 owners to be aware of this extended warranty repair. I seem to recall the rack would be replaced for up to 8 years of age on the XC70 but there may have been a mileage limitation.

Hope this helps to clarify my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CVOLVO View Post
    With all do respect, I think I may have answered these questions in obviously not too clear a manner.

The same day and prior to taking my XC70 to the dealership, I did in fact get the transmission fluid replaced at the most reputable transmission shop in Ottawa - B&N Transmission. As I stated, on the Volvo mechanic's advice I had planned to have the transmission oil replaced around 100,000 km. The fluid seemed to be OK and no other damage was found.

Having ruled the transmission out as a cause of the mysterious noise, next I took the car to the Volvo dealership. I had already noticed the green grease on the CV joint bellows and had been sent an extended warranty letter regarding defective seals in the steering rack. I was relieved that the Volvo mechanic did diagnose a defective rack seal and was happy to hear their solution was to entirely replace the steering rack and then do a front alignment.

So, I considered myself lucky to have this repaired at Volvo's expense and wanted other XC70 owners to be aware of this extended warranty repair. I seem to recall the rack would be replaced for up to 8 years of age on the XC70 but there may have been a mileage limitation.

Hope this helps to clarify my experience.
    Thanks for the clarification which is appreciated.

It was also interesting as while reading it I did get the feeling that while the transmission in this case was not the problem then the fluid swap was not really required although it ruled out that possibility of being the 'problem'.

This is the procedure. Just follow it and you'll be fine. You might need VIDA DICE to have the correct measurement of the temperature of the fluid, but even without it you can get very close to the reading by running the car for 10 min or so.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/en...uid_change.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Thx for the thread, but I'm confused by it. While I can't speak to older model years, are you still suggesting he should change the fluid on his MY12 (assuming he doesn't meet the heavy duty requirements)?
    YES!
    And we have 0 faith in Volvo's engineers.
    There is no such a thing as a lifetime fluid anywhere in this world
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Sorry for being gone so long...grandchildren take precedence. The thread has evolved! It looks like a relatively straight forward process with the most complicated part being the re-routing of the fluids. It seems like one ought to be able to remove the fluid at the top of the oil cooler as was done in previous transmissions (I did 3 changes in my 2003 XC70). But, rather than vary, the better part is to go with experience. Thanks for all the input. I’ll probably wait until the warrantee expires before performing the flush.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12