Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fluid change for a 2012 XC 70

I am getting close to needing a 50 k transmission fluid change (2012 XC 70 T6). I understand that the tranny still takes the Mobile 3309 fluid. However, the method for changing (draining and filling) the fluid has changed. I've looked around to see if there is a post on this procedure, but I've not found one. Can someone let me know how to do this or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I am getting close to needing a 50 k transmission fluid change (2012 XC 70 T6). I understand that the tranny still takes the Mobile 3309 fluid. However, the method for changing (draining and filling) the fluid has changed. I've looked around to see if there is a post on this procedure, but I've not found one. Can someone let me know how to do this or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.
    I have a 2012 XC70 T6, and there is no requirement to change the tranny fluid at this interval, unless "on vehicles used for towing, or when a message displays in the Instrument Panel Text Window". This can be found on page 15, note 2 of your warranty and maintenance book.

Does that scenario apply to you?

The following thread is worth reading:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...n-fluid-change
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I understand that the tranny still takes the Mobile 3309 fluid.
    2012 XC 70 with Gen II TF80SC should take Volvo 31 256 774, which is not a 3309. More like a Toyota WS,AW-1 application.

Here are two great options for fluid for that trans

Red Line D6

Lube Guard Complete

As for flushing, I am not sure. I have a Gen I TF80SC and I drain 3 qts out and replace every couple oil changes.

Kris
    Last edited by Master Tech; 05-08-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    2008 XC 70 - 90,000 miles
    Bilstein struts
    Active Bi-Xenon lights
    trans flushed with Shell Spirax S5 ATF X - Lubeguard Platinum
    NGK laser welded Iridium plugs
    ALWAYS 0w40 Mobil 1 with a German made Mann filter

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    The following thread is worth reading:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...n-fluid-change
    Thx for the thread, but I'm confused by it. While I can't speak to older model years, are you still suggesting he should change the fluid on his MY12 (assuming he doesn't meet the heavy duty requirements)?

If so, by extension, you don't seem to have much faith in the Volvo engineers or more specifically the engineers (if third party) behind the transmission.

While way too early on an MY12 in this case, are there documented reports of transmission failures due to lack of fluid change on a transmission that would otherwise be sealed? Just curious.

As a professional, I would recommend automatic transmisiion fluid replacement every 30 to 50k miles. I will never understand Volvo's stance on "lifetime auto trans fluid unless towing".

Kris
    Last edited by Master Tech; 05-16-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    2008 XC 70 - 90,000 miles
    Bilstein struts
    Active Bi-Xenon lights
    trans flushed with Shell Spirax S5 ATF X - Lubeguard Platinum
    NGK laser welded Iridium plugs
    ALWAYS 0w40 Mobil 1 with a German made Mann filter

Quote Originally Posted by Master Tech View Post
    As a professional, I would recommend trans fluid replacement every 30 to 50k miles. I will never understand Volvo's stance on "lifetime fluid unless towing".

Kris
    Hi, I'm assuming you are referring to Automatic Transmissions as opposed to Manual Transmission?

Having always driven Manual Transmission Volvo's over the last 40+ years I have never changed the oil/fluid even though on the present XC70 there is 51K on the clock of which at least 46K has been done towing a 'Tin Tent' all around Europe.

Yes, I assumed this thread is about a Aisin-Warner TF80SC automatic transmission. A modern manual trans with synthetic oil should have no problem with 100,000 mile service intervals. Of course, always check manufacture specifications. In the US, there are fewer and fewer manual trans offerings from manufactures.

Kris

Coincidentally, I thought I had a strange sound coming from the 2008 transmission, but it turned out to be the defective steering rack I commented on another post. I recall asking my trusted Volvo mechanic and he recommended replacing the transmission oil at 100,000 km. I was a bit early mileage wise, but wanted a specialty transmission shop to diagnose any problems and change the oil. Turned out the sound was coming from the steering rack and once replaced, had total piece of mind. Guess I'm old school (with 45 years of Volvo ownership experience) but as we would say in Canada, pre-metrification; "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Wonder if there's a metric expression equivalent ;~) Regardless, getting ready to put my 1980 240GT back onto the roads so with care, these cars may still be built to last. Happy Victoria Day fellow Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by CVOLVO View Post
    Coincidentally, I thought I had a strange sound coming from the 2008 transmission, but it turned out to be the defective steering rack I commented on another post. I recall asking my trusted Volvo mechanic and he recommended replacing the transmission oil at 100,000 km. I was a bit early mileage wise, but wanted a specialty transmission shop to diagnose any problems and change the oil. Turned out the sound was coming from the steering rack and once replaced, had total piece of mind. Guess I'm old school (with 45 years of Volvo ownership experience) but as we would say in Canada, pre-metrification; "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Wonder if there's a metric expression equivalent ;~) Regardless, getting ready to put my 1980 240GT back onto the roads so with care, these cars may still be built to last. Happy Victoria Day fellow Canadians.
    But at the end of the day.......

Was the transmission oil replaced, or was the steering rack swapped out without the transmission oil being touched which cured the 'problem'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast