Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Another nice batch of pictures. The city shots are interesting with blocks of buildings with the courtyards. The kayaking certainly does give an interesting view of the shore. Is the camera waterproof or are we confident of no tip overs? Camped on the ocean again to get such a nice sunset shot?
    Waterproof camera, that for some reason got a coating on the lens as I put it under yesterday to photograph the Clams, but not sure were the coating came from unless it was son the sea as I put it in....

Stage 10F “Continuing our time in Zaton/Nin”

Wednesday:

A nice slow day in very warm sunshine….

Getting ready to set off for a bike ride this morning I saw a small green spider on one of my shoes outside and having never seen a spider of this colour before I grabbed the camera but before I could get a picture the darn thing jumped off and landed in the grass, however from the small black body I hope you can make out the rest….

As we set off around the village….

We came to some guys cutting a trench across the road but typically no diversion signs were to be found so we were left trying different roads to get round as we could not even get over the trench, while one of the ‘roads’ led us to this disused water pump & covered well….

Going along a bit further we hear this bird singing away quite loudly and having spotted it at the top of the tree we could see that it was not the normal brown colour but had a yellow/gold front but still not sure what it was…..

The view across the bay from a place called Ninska Laguna….

While down on the beach at Ninska Laguna we get this view across the shallow and very warm water of the bay….

Then making our way back to the main road and the campsite we pass this rather nice house and its small flower garden outside….

While turning a corner we see this snake in the road that was at least 3ft (1 meter) long….

After that it was time to get back for lunch and a totally lazy afternoon as the temperature climbed even higher….

Thursday:

06:00 Sunrise over the campsite

Then after breakfast we took off for a short trip around some of the roads around the spit of land we are on calling into a couple of the villages on the way around, first job was to get over the bridge which used to be a ferry…..

As we come to our first village called…..

Which is very nice, then we called into the Tourist Information Office and asked about campsites in the area, we were referred to the ‘Big Square’ in Zadar as they had no information!
    We were shocked as there is one campsite around half a mile from the office and another one around 1.5 miles down the main road on the way back to Zaton/Nin!....

While the next stop was a small place called Privlaka where the centre was a small road that went round in a small circle with not enough room to park on, so we parked by the Church which was out of the village and walked back in then had a coffee while overlooking the harbour…

Then set off for a short walk around the harbour going down the short roadway, past the fishing nets that were drying out and the outside BBQ…..

As the small harbour opened up to the view…

We spotted this metal plate…..

On this vessel….

While crawling along the sea wall by the side of the vessel was….

While on the other side of the Italian built vessel was this sad looking boat….

Then as we walk out on a wooden pontoon we spot some ‘Overhead/Layered Mooring’ as we think the harbour was a bit short of space…..

Looking back from the pontoon to the village…..

Making our way back to the Church & ‘Flamenco Red’ we see these two small houses with a wall that looked like it had been built in stages…..

While a bit further on as we go along the main road we see this rather strange metal pole with one large and two small spars along with a white ships light on top which we think was from a ship and used for lifting loads on or off the boat as there were pulleys and cables attached but never seen anything like it….

Then it was back to the campsite for lunch once again and a lazy afternoon as the temperature climbed to the 30C (86F) and no wind which made it feel hotter!...

Stage 10G “Continuing our time in Zaton/Nin”

Friday:

Totally lazy, did exactly nothing….

Saturday: Totally different matter…..

We set off on a bike ride on the other side of Nin and headed off to Vrsi Zukve and on the way went into…..

With a plan of the saltworks just inside the entrance….

Then next to it were some of the salt trucks and one of the railway engines….

While inside the museum which was free to enter we started to work our way around the exhibits….

With a couple more of the salt wagons in better condition than those outside that had some examples of some of the products for sale in the museum….

The ‘Human Salt Train’ before they got their first diesel locomotive….

Working on the salt pans…..

The label on the weighing scales that could weight out sacks of 100Kgs….

72% Cocoa Chocolate that has 1% of ‘Flower of Salt’ mixed into it while the ‘Flower of Salt’ also contains other minerals such as magnesium, calcium & potassium and ‘YES’ it gives the chocolate a strange but quite nice flavour in which you can just taste the salt…

Unfortunately we could not complete the visit by going on the tour of the salt pans as Saturday is reserved for groups, but we intend to go back on Monday and do that part as it is open to individuals.….

While having said that the 'Salt Producing Season' is only 3 months long, July, August & September thanks to the intense heat of the Sun.....

Next stop was Vrsi Zukve, and having collected 2 ice creams from the supermarket just out of the picture, we took a seat behind the wooden hut that is to the right of the old tractor, and listened to the music of Dire Straits, who were belting out with the help of the owner and his BIG Speakers, the track called ‘Money for Nothing’ as we also contemplated having a dance on the quayside! ….

The view from our seat as we listened to the music....

Back on the bikes and along the promenade we go with some rather nice houses along the front.…

Only got the first part completed but already with a price tag of over €200,000 and still needs a coat of paint on the outside….

As we turned around and started to make our way back we then spotted this building that is behind the Tourist Office that looks as though an explosion occurred insde….

While a bit further along and around the corner was this Sun Room on top of another room in the villa which I suppose because of its location gave guests a superb view over the ocean!….

This property on the corner was up for sale with an email address and telephone number in Germany to call if you were interested, but seemed to have been unoccupied for quite some time, while the property was a striking colour!…..

Meanwhile back at the campsite having really enjoyed the dried Figs in Morocco it came as a bit of a surprise to also find here dried Figs, but these have also been sugar coated and they are really very moorish …..

Bit of lunch and then a cycle ride to the nearby bay where the sea is very shallow so you can walk out a long way while the seawater is quite warm, although you do walk into the odd cold spot which stops you in your tracks for a minute, but it’s where you find some interesting little creatures…..

Like this little crab that can move much faster than a Footballer taking a Penalty!....

Then we see this Whelk making its way along the seabed…..

While a bit further along are 2 very small Clams opened up for the incoming tide…..

Not quite like lying back reading the paper in the Dead Sea, but at least is was a nice and warm spot……

While I understand it’s called a ‘Sea Cucumber’ that is all I know in this case…

This ‘shell’ looked BIG as it lay on the bottom, and then I got it out of the water and saw…..

Not sure if it was a bit of ‘Seabed Hanky Panky’ or whether the BIG fella was trying to get at the little fella for some reason but they were soon parted….

While this was the BIG fella….

As it made a ‘beeline’ for my finger!....

Then I turned the shell and it shot back inside….

Before coming out again, at which point I put it back down on a rock on the seabed before making my way back to my bike for the trip back to the campsite…

As I then passed this Steyr Tractor, which seemed to be in the wrong location next to the sea having just come home from ploughing a nearby field…..

Bit of a strange day in all I think!...

Stage 10H “Continuing our time in Zaton/Nin”

Sunday:

Except for a bike ride along with a dip in the really warm water of the small bay then a trip to the Quayside to collect a few Oysters that when trying to open them I managed to end up with a rather deep cut in my little finger when the knife slipped, it was an uneventful day really, and the Oysters that I did get open were very nice…

A few of the Oysters…..

Monday:

While it was a special day in just Nin today with the church by the Bell Tower packed to overflowing listening to the service and a few stalls set up outside the village selling lots of chidren’s toys we went back to the Solana Nin Salt Museum for the 11:00 ‘Visitor Tour’ which was basically a walk along a pathway that took all of 15 minutes while being told of the history and what still comes out of the salt works ….

We first of all understood that the mound of salt in the next picture was for winter road use, but that was changed to household salt that was waiting to be ‘processed’ and made ready for sale….

Then main point of interest on the salt pans was this Roman Floodgate made of very large stones and is around 1500 years old…..

While the ‘Water Gate’ which would have been made of wood slid up and down the slots in the next picture to allow the salt water into the salt pans…..

The seawater entered via the large square hole that you can see in the next picture while walls either side held the seawater from going directly into the flats.
    Interestingly the ‘Green’ plants growing around the ‘Roam Water Gate’ are a bit like very thin Asparagus, and while they are edible without cooking there is a salty but not unpleasant taste to it, and we believe it is sold in shops in France at around €10 for 100G!.....

Tuesday:

After a night of at times what sounded like heavy rain, the sky this morning looked ‘promising’ so after breakfast we loaded up ‘Flamenco Red’ with the Kayak and set off to the other side of Nin and a larger bay that was not as shallow as the one closer to the campsite for a trip along the shoreline .

As we pass the old now disused brick & tile works.….

Then we find ‘Mussel Heaven’ as we pass but quickly make a Full Speed Astern as we spot a Mooring Buoy that was ‘Mussel Bound’ in fact there were 4 of them all in a line but this one was the lowest in the water due to the sheer weight of Mussels clinging onto it!

Even the end rope was totally covered with them, of which a large number ended up in the back of the Kayak as my 1st course ‘starter’ for dinner this evening and I must say that they were very nice….

Let’s see what tomorrow brings, but I know we have to go grocery shopping!

Someone's wife is jealous of you and your mussel harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    Someone's wife is jealous of you and your mussel harvest.
    Oops!

Sorry ssicarman.

You could always offer your good lady a chance to come over with her swimming costume and go 'Mussel Hunting' before you find that your 'Dinner is in the Dog' and she has gone for a night out with the girls!

But I must admit that the BIG Mussels were really tasty!

Stage 10I “Continuing our time in Zaton/Nin”

Thursday:

Woke to a nice morning after a ‘rough’ night with a ‘problem’ tooth so decided after call to Dentist in the UK and making appointment for when we get home, to head off to Tribunj for a look around…

As we arrived the dark clouds started gathering but we took a chance and headed off for the short walk back into the centre after parking up walking along the road at the side of the Marina….

As we pass this LARGE power cruiser having some extensive patching up work done on it for the forthcoming season ….

Then passing a rather heavily decorated restaurant that looked a bit dark inside to be able to see your food!....

With this rather nice floral display at the end of the harbour….

As we then after a bit of lunch pass this next gaily decorated restaurant….

To get onto the island that forms one side of the harbour, you have to go over this small bridge which has a Roman look about it as no boats can get underneath to enter the harbour, they all have to go around the front.....

While on the other side of the bridge is this small vessel with the term Tempus Fugit on top of the small ‘Cuddy’, while opposite are the ‘Boats for hire’ but more of them later…..

‘El Buro’ and the old Fishing Vessel….

While on the open sea side of the harbour are the other Fishing Vessels who must have had a warning about imminent bad weather as they were all in port…

Meanwhile the one item that got under the Bridge and appeared on the left was this sea going Kayak complete with a Rudder…..

As we then turned around to the view of the Church while just around the corner was the Ice Cream shop….

So off we go to make our way to the other side over the bridge….

Following the road in an anticlockwise direction….

We then find ourselves in front of the ‘Boats for Hire’ and a day will set you back from 01 June till 30 September €300/Day (£243 or $366) while the advert did not say if that price included the Fuel for the engine which at 140HP or 215HP would no doubt be a thirsty beast on a full throttle!.....

While just along the quayside was this nifty little vehicle that you expect to see a BIG Key stuck on the back to wind it up!.....

Getting back to ‘Flamenco Red’ just as the ‘Overhead Watering Can’ was opened up we set off for a place called ‘Murter’ which came recommended by the Tourist Office in Tribunj and was not much of a detour on our way back to Zaton/Nin.

While first we have to negotiate a place called Tisno and cross a bridge between the two islands, which was OK….

Then as we got into Murter we came to the roadworks which was a bit ‘problematic’ as the drivers coming towards you weren’t sure who had right of way even though the road was partially blocked on our side!...

Having reached the end of the road we turned around and made our way to a place called ‘Betina’ but as the rain started to come down heavier we thought it best to stay dry and keep after a quick picture make our way back to Zaton/Nin…

Then making our way back to Tisno, we get this view across the sea between the islands….

Finally get back to the campsite to find that a Motorhome that has a Russian registration plate on it is back in the camp having not moved from the pitch it was on for 2 YEARS it was driven off 4 days ago we understand at the request of the owner for an ‘Annual Service’.
    When I heard before it went that it had been there for 2 years I looked at the brakes, and the discs on all 4 wheels were totally rusty, and looked as though they would not work!
    Seeing it as we got back you immediately saw that it had been washed and cleaned up on the outside of the bodywork while all four Discs and Disc Pads had been replaced. Rather glad as it is a Mercedes that I was not paying the bill for that lot!....

Interestingly no rain had been seen here while we were away, so will have to see what happens tomorrow….

Stage 10J “Continuing our time in Zaton/Nin”

Friday:

Lazy day with a visit to the Butcher & Breadshop by bike, while a trip to the small Bay was not so good as the wind had risen making the Sea rather cold even to go in for a paddle.

However a bit later we had a couple of ‘visitors’ to the ‘Tin Tent’…

Firstly a rather nice Green coloured Cricket…..

With this Caterpillar making its way along the wall of the tyre….

Saturday:

Started off today rather windy as the ‘Bora’ wind rises but thankfully not too strong, so we decide to try a ride on the bikes and set off towards Vrsi, but end up in Vrsi – Mulo….

However having looked and failed to find somewhere to get some lunch we start to head back and see this house that reminds us of a film but cannot remember the name, especially with the conical roof sections.....

While coming back on a slightly different route we see all these small shells either up a pole that was over 1 meter high or on long strands of grass, possibly due to high water levels from the sea or rain….

Then as we finally get back to the bay on the far side of Nin we see all these ‘Kite Surfers’ having a great time on the sea.…

Having come to the end of our time here in Zaton/Nin we are back on the road tomorrow to a new place for us called ‘Tisno’ which is further South, while hopefully the sunshine will continue, but not sure about the wind….

Stage 11 “Zaton/Nin to Tisno”

Sunday:

WOW! This must be the shortest stage of this trip as we have only been on the road for about 1.5 Hours and we have arrived at the next destination, which is Camping Dalmacija….

To the left is one of the National Parks, while we make a right turn towards Tisno…..

Then a short while after we enter the little town…..

While the GPS system (TomTom) decides that we will head through the town and not go around by the better and less troublesome route, so we find ourselves heading off down the narrow road while we initially ended up on the Quayside and had to make a 180 Degree turn without falling in the water!!…

As we then get to what we think is the campsite ‘Entrance’ it is the wrong one, and we have to head off left and then take a ‘Pisted Road’ for about ¾ of a mile, just like Morocco, so nothing new there, to get to the campsite called ‘Dalmacija’ which has the wrong directions in the campsite guide…..

Then after seeing the lady on reception we finally get sorted out with a pitch and get set up between the trees…..

Now for some ‘Sunshine’ and a 7 Nights of peace and quiet, as we learn that all the ‘Hotspots’ of which there are 5 around the campsite have not been connected to the Internet by the company who have been commissioned to do the job, and they will not commit to a date as to when they will complete the job, so Internet access can only be had in the immediate vicinity of Reception, and the speed is exceedingly slow, when you get connected!……

Stage 11A “Our time in Tisno”

Monday:

After a lazy ‘Sunday’ as we took our time getting set up and sorted out we set off to go back into ‘Tisno’ this morning using ‘Pedal Power’ to get there….

While going for a shower this morning produced this small creature in the spotlessly clean facilities…..

While it didn’t take long to get into ‘Tisno’ it was nice cycling along the waterfront taking in the view without pedalling over the edge!

As we then see the reminder of a bygone age of items from Olive Oil production, which still happens in some areas….

With the town’s war memorial up ahead.…

Then tied up alongside one of the numerous wharfs is the infamous ‘Yellow Submarine’!…..

While a little bit further around we get this nice landscape picture…..

Outside one of the small waterfront houses we see this old brightly painted cart….

A closer look at the ‘dark square’ in front of the cart shows it to be ‘Runner Beans drying out in the sunshine, while the old lady in the house is sorting other seeds in the garage….

As we then set off on a walking/cycle trail around the coast to the next town….

As we get to the end of the trail we find ourselves in ‘Jezera’….

While the first stop as it’s getting ‘HOT’ is…..
    Where we see that the cost of Car Parking is at 9 Kuna/Hour (£1. $1.50) more expensive than an Ice Cream, and more expensive than parking in ‘Tisno’ which is 7 Kuna/Hour!

As we spot this pair of Cormorants waiting for lunch to swim in….

Then as we get back to the start of the walking/cycle trail we see this sign as the area with its crystal clear waters is good for diving and underwater exploration with all sorts of sealife being seen as you swim along….

Finally got back to the campsite which was a struggle in places thanks to the ‘uphill’ sections on the bike, even when making use of those ‘BIG Cogs’ on the back wheel and the ‘small Cog’ at the pedals !

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast