Default EPB Electronic Parking Brake Release Method 09 xc70

Thanks to allot of internet research I became brave enough to deal with the new experience of a rear brake job with the added interference of the on board computer. I have an 09 XC70 t6 and it turned out to be really easy to do the job without buying a release computer tool or bringing it to the dealer.
    Basically, take the wheel down to the old brake pads out and if you're changing the rotor take the caliper holder off too. On the top of the ebrake motor is the electrical plug in connection clip that removes pretty easily if you look closely at how it comes apart. This will reveal on the inside of the connection clip on the motor two prong terminals. I got out my 12 volt booster charger and connected a smaller wire to each of the clunky clamp ends to make it easier to contact the terminals on the connection plug in. If you do positive on the left and negative on the right terminal the motor will retract and allow the piston to be pushed back inward. You have to push the piston with a tool that will give you enough leverage to push it in. It shouldn't be hard to push in. You don't need to turn the piston. If it doesn't want to go in you haven't retracted the motor enough. Reversing the two wires will make the motor push out it's piston and apply the brake. Keep the connection together just long enough so it allows the piston to go in far enough to allow the caliper to go over both pads. Make sure you don't turn the car on at any time with the connection plug in clips removed because it will code out on you and take nearly 100 miles of annoying chiming telling you the ebrake needs service or isn't fully retracted. Do the same for the other side making sure both connection clips are back in place before starting the car or moving the ebrake handle. Start it up and everything should be fine. If for some reason you get a warning that the brake is in need of service or not retracted, make sure that the car moves freely then drive it for a mile or so. Stop and check to see if the rotors are warm but not super hot. If they are all warm you're fine and the annoying chiming will stop after 75 miles of driving.

Thanks for posting - very helpful
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

The best OBDII code reader for Volvos that includes EPB maintenance software is either the Autel MD702 ($230) or the Autel MD802 ($400). Both readers include engine/trans codes, ABS, SRS and EPB. I have the MD802 and changing the rear pads was very easy and did not result in annoying codes after the brake work was done.

I bought my VIDA DICE from these guys --> http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/226018849.html
    I think this would be the best for the price you can find on the market and they do free delivery to US/Canada as well. The device works without an issue 1 year so far and is pretty handy for the price I must admit. I used it may times to configure modules and am pretty happy with it. It comes with the VIDA install as well, but read carefully the instructions, because it will require you to update the firmware on the DICE device and if you screw it - game over - you can't use the DICE anymore...
    And yes - they are from China - but I am pretty sure that by now all of the Volvo software development is outsource to China mainland anyway, so you are getting it directly from the "source". :-)

So I find myself in the situation where I manually retracted the piston after removing the motor from each caliper. I now have an error that indicates the parking brake isn't fully retracted, but it seems to not actually be restricting movement. I bought an Autel DiagLink but it doesn't seem to be working (even with the latest Volvo v6.20 EPB module). It won't do anything with the EPB (apply, set to maintenance mode, installation check). Guess I'll be returning that.

Assuming there really is no issue with retraction of the parking brake, will the error clear after 76-100 miles or just the error chiming stops? I assume disconnecting the battery at this point won't clear the code/error?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by tancookbelle View Post
    The best OBDII code reader for Volvos that includes EPB maintenance software is either the Autel MD702 ($230) or the Autel MD802 ($400). Both readers include engine/trans codes, ABS, SRS and EPB. I have the MD802 and changing the rear pads was very easy and did not result in annoying codes after the brake work was done.
    Would this Autel models work with the 2017 XC90?

I believe I have exactly the same problem on a 2008 XC70. How did you resolve your problem? I've already disconnected the battery several times for other reasons and that did not help.
    The parking brakes are retracted and the brakes do not bind. There are no lights indicating failures on the dash. When I try to engage the parking brakes, the light only flashes and never turns solid and stays on.
    When I try to drive the car, it warns me that the parking brakes are engaged.

So you're saying that a Volvo- authorized software developer and an unrelated software pirate are the same thing if they are Chinese? ???? The piracy of VIDA up thru 2014D was made possible because Volvo was using a DVD disc for distribution. That has ended with 2015A. It now requires an online subscription.
    2013 XC70 T6 Flamenco Red (hers)
    2015 XC70 T6 Seashell Metallic (his)
    past: 13 Volvos going back to '74 242 sedan

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    So you're saying that a Volvo- authorized software developer and an unrelated software pirate are the same thing if they are Chinese? ???? The piracy of VIDA up thru 2014D was made possible because Volvo was using a DVD disc for distribution. That has ended with 2015A. It now requires an online subscription.
    Exactly havent heard anyone who succesfull managed to use non volvo authorize software.
    They know how to make money of this software, as it can become rather useless when not updated.