Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bumper and cladding color restoration

Figured I'd pass on something I did this weekend. I've got an '04 XC70 and the bumper and side cladding is pretty well faded. A co-worker gave me a partial bottle of Mothers Back-To-Black to try on the XC as it worked well on the grey vinyl on his '80s Honda scooter. This stuff is great. Went from faded/mottled light blue to dark blue in one application.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bumper1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	6061

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bumper2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	6062
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Current ride: '04 XC70

...and after one hard rain it will start to run down the sides
    Wrong stuff
    If you want the best FOREVER BLACK is the best "black product"
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

FWIW: The most recent Consumer Reports reviewed a couple trim products & gave top ratings to "Wipe New" and "ReNu Finish" but commented as to both of them on how little comes in each bottle. "Back to Black" was among the products reviewed, "Forever Black" was not evaluated.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

The Back to Black is not a dye and someone I know actually used it so I gave it a try. Heavy rain due on Tuesday so we'll see if it runs. From what I can tell, the Forever Black is a dye and I did not want the blue cladding to turn color, just come back to a richer blue. If this doesn't hold up I'll try the other recommendations.

Thanks!
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

I used to use this stuff and it held up nicely in the rain if you buffed it in. However it is a pain to apply and to properly do an entire xc it troo 3/4 of a bottle and about 45 mins. That is why I switched to zep tire shine it lasts even longer between applications (3-4 months) and it takes 5 mins to do the entire car.
    2002 v70 xc White/Tobacco
    Touring Package, Cold Weather Package, Intro-Premium Package, Audio Max
    180k+ on ORIGINAL Autotragic GirlTronic

Back-to-black was a waste of money/time for me. My bumpers are also dark blue, but they went to full back with FOREVER BLACK. Best stuff I ever used! I applied 2 coats last summer, will do again at least 1 coat shortly.

I just tried the new Armor All Outlast. They have a $5 rebate going on so it will only cost $5 in the end, since I got it on sale. I did one coat and it made a big difference but still needed some work. I then just took regular armor all to it since I never use it anymore, then did another coat of the outlast over it. Doing that made the biggest difference. Took some work but what a difference.
    The outlast says it will last 100 washes. It has only been 3 weeks and two light rains so far. If it doesn't work they offer a money back guarantee.
    Wife has the car so I can't post pictures yet.

Well JRL, when you are right, you are certainly correct. Yesterday we had heavy rain, combined with driving through mud and deep puddles. The Back to Black treated areas show light streaking.

Still don't want to turn the blue cladding to black. Probably going to try something else, perhaps the "Wipe New" or "Re Nu Finish".
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Finally got the picture of the bumper. This is after 2 light rains and about a month. So far working nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140419_143033.jpg  

That looks great. I have not had a chance to get any other products yet, but I will definitely try the Armorall Outlast this time around.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg,
    Hellertown, PA USA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast