Default Oil leak and other issues

This '02 V70 XC is draining my bank account on repair bills. I'll try to give the shorthand version.

New turbo installed along with the associated hoses which connect to the turbo, and it works fine and doesn't leak oil anymore. Two oil leaks solved, one from the old turbo itself and one from a hose that goes around the back (driver's) side of the engine further up near the head. Oh by the way, before any of these oil leaks I had the breather system replaced which was really clogged up. Also from my first oil change right after I bought the car in late December I have had the oil changed twice, once with Amsoil 5W30 at the indy shop and once with 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. When the shop had the intake off to find the latest oil leak, they called me and showed me that the head gasket is bad, has been oozing out crusty dried up antifreeze and maybe oil but I can't remember. But fortunately the antifreeze and oil are not mixed. I have a head gasket set arriving today, to be installed tomorrow, and I guess the head might be slightly warped, who knows but in any event I'm prepared for the possibility that the head might need to be shaved a bit and hopefully not replaced.

Here's the remaining oil leak part:
    One oil leak remaining as far as I can tell and this is the one that makes me nervous. I bought a pair of ramps on Saturday, removed the splash cover, crawled underneath and dried up the oil I could see. I saw a drop of oil on the body of the turbo which faces the firewall but it wasn't at a seam and it looked like it got on there from somewhere else. I saw a bit of oil leaking down at the very bottom underneath the transition from the engine to the transmission, but I can't tell if it could be coming from higher up or maybe from the rear main seal. I started the car after drying off the existing oil, ran it for awhile and watched from all angles where I could get my eyeballs in there to look.

There is no sign of any oil leaking from the oil cooler, the turbo return hose either at the turbo or at the crankcase, nor anywhere else on the middle to upper part of the engine, at least where I can see. I can see oil running down from the area above the transmission but I can't see on top of that area to try to confirm my worst fears, whether or not it might be the rear main seal. I've read on here that a rear main seal leak is not a common thing.

I guess the only thing I'm trying to ask is something like, is there some seal further up, i.e. higher than the rear main seal, where an oil leak can originate from, excluding the turbo which I can see and I can't see oil leaking from any of its connections? Can the head gasket cause an oil leak on the driver's side of the engine?

I guess I'm just hoping that it might not be the rear main seal, on top of all of the other expenditures so far and one looming tomorrow.

One more thing, what is the cap or seal on the back of the engine in the attached photo? This thing has been cock-eyed since I bought this car. It doesn't leak or anything but it sure doesn't look right. I can't see it listed as part of the head gasket kit or any other "seal" on a couple of the vendors' web sites.
    Last edited by tmcmilli; 04-07-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcmilli View Post
    One more thing, what is the cap or seal on the back of the engine in the attached photo? This thing has been cock-eyed since I bought this car. It doesn't leak or anything but it sure doesn't look right. I can't see it listed as part of the head gasket kit or any other "seal" on a couple of the vendors' web sites.
    If you are a DIYer, then your investment in repairs should pay-off.
    That cock-eyed item is a cap over rear intake cam. You can pull it off and then put it back on with ease. Think of it as a dust cover.

It is possible that the crankcase pressure may have loosen the rear cam seals, hence oil is slow leaking, giving the impression that it is rear-main seal.

Be diligent with these cars. What is it's mileage?
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Mileage?
    Last time the breather box system was checked or replaced?
    Type of oil used?
    Frequency of oil changes?
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Before you pull the head, Have you checked compression #'s and done a leak-down test? Reason I ask is If you are pulling the head to replace the gasket may make sense to replace valve guides and/or valves if needed. Particularly if sending the head out to a machine shop as you eluded to.

I'm glad that plug or cap is simple to put back on. Thanks.

The mileage is 166K miles. I bought it on December 23, 2013 with 158K on it. The breather was replaced less than a month after that. The breather was clogged up in bad shape. But it didn't stop the oil leaks. When the breather was replaced, the oil was changed (even though it wasn't really dirty I wanted to make sure it was running synthetic) with Amsoil, I assume 5W30. The shop is an Amsoil dealer. About 3500 miles later I had the oil changed again and it is now running Mobil 1 5W30 extended performance.

I appreciate the suggestion about the compression check and valves/guides etc. I will pass that along to the indy shop that is pulling the top end and doing the work for me. He indicated he will probably need to send the head to a machine shop, even if it's only to make sure its mating surface is flat and for valve work if needed.

I will pass that along to the indy shop that is pulling the top end and doing the work for me.
    One observation, it appears you are doubting the mechanic you are using or you would not be passing info gained here on. If I am right and you are not one to wrench you may want to seek advice from others near you on whom they would recommend you have service your car.

I could be wrong...

The hose running to the back of the engine block high up near the head is surely part of the PCV system. It is the most expensive part of all. Are you saying you didn't replace it when you did the breather system soon after purchase? If it was truly in the state you describe then not replacing that item was a bad decision. The oil leak underneath is hard to understand without any pictures but it may be the angle gear. Most of them do weep a bit. Have you checked the oil level?
    Last edited by nickbw; 04-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

I guess the only thing I'm trying to ask is something like, is there some seal further up, i.e. higher than the rear main seal, where an oil leak can originate from...?
    A simple fix we often ignore is replacing the oil filler cap seal, a 89 cent item. If the oil filler cap causes no pain to finger joints when turning it counter-clockwise, I will replace the rubber seal first -- keep few on shelf along with filters etc..

Can the head gasket cause an oil leak on the driver's side of the engine?
    The driver's side is rear of the engine, hence rear cam seals. It is a circus-ring for our cars with growing miles.
    How is your charge-air pipe, and connecting boost tube couplers?
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

The charge air pipe appears to be intact. The short boost coupler which connects between the turbo outlet and the charge air pipe was replaced with a new one from ipd. The other one which connects from the intercooler output to the intake side of the engine has not been replaced. The turbo itself was bad (and was replaced) and was leaking oil but had not gotten so bad that it was sending oil all the way to the intercooler. At least not that was evident. I guess some misting of oil into the intercooler could have occurred but I honestly don't know one way or the other.

All of the hoses that come with the breather kit from FCP Euro were replaced.

I talked to the mechanic today to check on my car. They got the head back on after it was reworked at the machine shop, and it has all new valve seals. The car continues to leak oil and he determined today that it appears to be leaking from around the oil sump where there is RTV sealing it. He said they could have missed that leak earlier and the other leaks were all legitimate leaks on there own. So hopefully this is the last leak and I'll get the car back on Thursday. At least it's not the rear main seal.