Unhappy 07' XC70: P0442 and P0101 and P2188 all together

Have all three codes popping up together. Only when my wife is driving - around town short trips with short stops. Never when I am driving - longer (10-30 miles) highway, with long stops (1-2 hours). Car drives fine, a little stumble at idle.
    According to the OBD-II codes conversion table from sweedspeed.com:

P0101 - MAF signal too low or faulty, P0442 - Tank system leakage, major leak, P2188 - oxygen sensor bank 1 signal faulty or too low.

I have been resetting them few times, they come back. replaced gas tank cap and MAF with new from FCP yesterday, drove it myself - everything is fine, idle seemed smoother than before replacing MAF. Wife drove it this morning - all 3 codes are back. Checked the accordeon hose - no visible cracks. Sprayed water around the hoses while idling - no change in idle.

Any ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    -Michael

P0101 and P2188 are directly related to a leak somewhere in the induction system, you'll need to look a little harder. P0101 does not state if it's a high or low signal. Check all the hoses, worst case scenario i think is it's your intercooler. There is a link somewhere of someone using a DIY smoking unit on the intake to detect a leak, using a old paint can and a soup can with some hosing and a air compressor to pressurize the system with smoke

P2188 is set by a leak in you gas tank, could just be the filler cap, could be a lot more maybe this will help Link to File
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    P0101 and P2188 are directly related to a leak somewhere in the induction system, you'll need to look a little harder. P0101 does not state if it's a high or low signal. Check all the hoses, worst case scenario i think is it's your intercooler.

P2188 is set by a leak in you gas tank, could just be the filler cap, could be a lot more maybe this will help Link to File
    Filler cap is new, replaced couple of days ago.

Do you mean intercooler or intercooler hose?

If I had a VIDA/DICE setup, would it give more detailed info where to look based on that leak self-tests described in the file you attached?

Well what I can tell you from my own experience in general is that don't always think that the parts you have replaced are always 100% functional/compatible. Although most of the time they are, don't put all your trust into it.

When I mean intercooler, I mean item #1 in the diagram, but the issue is not limited to the diagram and could be coming from other parts of the system. It could also be you front O2 sensor, an improper signal from either your O2 or MAF can cause the engine to run rich or lean, and draw more or less air into the engine. The one sensor can cause a fault in the other, or it can be caused by a leak. You are going to need to look harder. How many miles are on your XC?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volvo-XC70-2004-2006-5-CYL-INTERCOOLERS-%26-RELATED.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	6053

VIDA/DICE is a powerful tool and will give you more specific diagnostic information on trouble codes, but if it's a physical leak you're still going to have to route around to find it.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-07-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Well what I can tell you from my own experience in general is that don't always think that the parts you have replaced are always 100% functional/compatible. Although most of the time they are, don't put all your trust into it.

When I mean intercooler, I mean item #1 in the diagram, but the issue is not limited to the diagram and could be coming from other parts of the system. It could also be you front O2 sensor, an improper signal from either your O2 or MAF can cause the engine to run rich or lean, and draw more or less air into the engine. The one sensor can cause a fault in the other, or it can be caused by a leak. You are going to need to look harder. How many miles are on your XC?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volvo-XC70-2004-2006-5-CYL-INTERCOOLERS-%26-RELATED.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	6053

VIDA/DICE is a powerful tool and will give you more specific diagnostic information on trouble codes, but if it's a physical leak you're still going to have to route around to find it.

Good Luck.

Both MAF and gas cap that I replaced are blue-box from FCP.
    It's an 07' XC70 at 105Kmiles, just out of the CPO warranty, that did save me mucho $$$. This is the first time I have to deal with a problem with this car myself... So the decision I have to make here is - should I jump into it, invest in proper tools, climb the learning curve, and start maintaining this car myself, or move on?
    It would make sense if I can have it for another 100K+ miles with the reasonable amount of money and my time invested in it.
    My "baseline" is a 90 740 GLE that I had for 11 years from 60Kmiles to 220K doing as much as I could myself, farming out big suspension or engine jobs to the indy shop, and that costed me a lot less, than this XC70 appears to be... It was a lot more straightforward to work on, and having very primitive diagnostics, at least it was not as misleading... especially with the support from VOlvo forums.

Thanks for your advice...
    -Michael

If these are the only issues you have, then you're doing alright. Yes they need to be addressed, and will be a pain to find, but you should be able to do it, or find and indy for a fair price to fuss it out.

There are plenty of recomendations on this forum on how to love your high milage volvo. You will get a lot of use out of it still, but the car is going to need something from you in return if you do plan on keeping it.