Default AWD issue? Too much info to make an attractive title... Please read!

Thanks for clicking!

My 03 XC70CC, 211k, has beed driving very well. Today is POURING rain and very windy. I got on the freeway this morning and when I got to about 30mph, it started making a very loud whine. Like, a something really needs lube, friction whine that was constant until a stop. I couldn't really tell where it was coming from. I put it into neutral while moving to see if it would go away, it did not. I was able to accelerate through it, but it came back as soon as my speed lessened. I pulled over, parked it, and ran up the rpm's; nothing out of the ordinary. My first thought is that it has something to do with the AWD because of the amount of rain and wind. My traction was terrible, but I couldn't tell if it was just because of the water on the road or because something was malfunctioning. Is the AWD on all of the time, or does it kick on when needed? Does this sound like a common problem that coincidentally happened during very heavy rain and wind?

Forgive my lack of knowledge... I appreciate any help or guidance!

Hello and welcome,

The first thing you need to do is identify where the source of the whining is coming from. So if you can get the car on a lift that would be ideal. You are correct in inferring that it is driveline related at this point.

The second thing you need to identify is whether your AWD tranfer case is leaking fluid (AKA angle gear) and if so, to it off with 75w90.

There is a possibility it is your angle gear "sleeve", or it is low in gear oil, or it could also be your transmission, or perhaps a bearing... like a wheel bearing. I would first make sure fluids are topped off (angle gear, motor oil, trans.) and not leaking and go from there.
    Last edited by RockitShip; 02-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    2003 XC70 fuzzy dice mod

Search for Volvo and "rain squeal" and see if that sounds like your issue. Pretty well known issue.
    ---
    '04 AWD
    '05 XC (totaled in a rear end collision; RIP)
    '06 XC

LOL totally forgot about "rain squeal." Obvious.
    2003 XC70 fuzzy dice mod

That is freaking hilarious! I'll have to take a look at the drive shaft, but from what I've seen and read, looks like "rain squeal" is the problem. Thank you so much for the info!

Make sure the "W" button is not pressed while driving over 40MPH.
    I think it stands for Wet/Winter mode.

Quote Originally Posted by XC70BOB View Post
    That is freaking hilarious! I'll have to take a look at the drive shaft, but from what I've seen and read, looks like "rain squeal" is the problem. Thank you so much for the info!
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

Quote Originally Posted by surfercalavera View Post
    Play radio loud, it will block all the noise. Lol.
    I have spatter from the ps cv joint boot. It is rust color. Whines at 50mph.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by surfercalavera View Post
    I don't think that has much to do with anything, "W" mode puts the car in 3rd gear from full stop acceleration opposed to 1st gear, even with it off, you would be in 3rd gear by 40mph (Unless you were flooring it). I've had a whine come from my front passenger side wheel after driving through rough snow. It turned out to be the dust shield was rubbing against the rotor, I just bent it outward slightly. Don't know if that helps any, just some more information.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-02-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles