Default 2000 V70XC performance chip. Towing....

I've been looking into chips for this since I plan to tow with it. My main concern is I don't know how durable this transmission is.

Aside from that, I've found two places so far that sell chips or flashers.

IPD USA is the front runner since I can get data-logging and diagnostic software with the flasher for not much more than the mail-in option at the other tuner I found.

The other one is PowerChipGroup but IPD seems to be much better.

Are there any other good places to get a chip or flasher from?

A decent fitting class 2 or better hitch is needed as well as a plug-in wiring option so suggestions on that subject are welcome.

I think that's a very bad idea
    If you tow you need to keep the tranny fluid clean and you should install a trans cooler.
    If you flash the ECU (chip it), it will run even hotter and put an even larger strain on the transmission.

However, if you insist, the IPD tune is fine. You can also check with ARD tuning, they're a bit cheaper

To summerize, this is not a good idea if you tow
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I know better than to run the car wide-open with a load on it, I'm not trying to race anyone while towing something. I would be installing an auxiliary cooler maybe even with its' own fan along with synthetic fluid. I've found a Volvo OEM towing harness part number: 8698079 but there is confusion about if it'll work on my 2000.

I'll take a look at that ARD in the morning, thanks for the suggestion.

I am driving a 2000 V70 R with a B5244T2 motor. I have a Stage 1 Rica Tune software loaded into it. Viva Performance sell it in the US. The guys there were very helpful. My car came with the software already installed but my ever helpful local dealer accidently wiped it with an ETM upgrade from Volvo. I expected that was that, but the software 'belongs' to your car and that VIN#. They offered to re-flash my ECU and I pay for the shipping, or I could purchase a 'softloader' which would allow me to re-programme myself. I did this, but had real problems as it wouldn't recognise my VIN#. Ended up spending an hour talking to Holland HQ and the guys were excellent. Problem was possibly the Volvo upgrade causing an issue. Using Teamviewer they fixed it for me. Great thing is the softloader store OE software and upgrade. Softloader can do more if you want to research further.
    Dealer was mortified, and they offered to pay for new software and were naturally happy to pay for the softloader which I got to keep! Always good when someone steps up when they screw up.

Although I had problems, I have to say the support was excellent. I used Eurosport here in Canada and they were helpful also.

Also considered ARD. Lucky at ARD used to work for IPD and was also very helpful, and I would seriously consider them too. He has a great knowledge on the cars and the software.

Main things I notice are much earlier up-shifts on the 5-speed auto box. Only issue I want to check into is my car only seems to change up to 5th around 90kph. Thought for a while I didn't have a fifth gear as I do a lot of city driving.

Car goes like stink when floored! I also have a Xemodex contactless ETM. Really worth the money!

I do agree with JRL about seriously considering the extra load on the tranny. I understand the 5-speed auto can be a bit week. Maybe consider the RICA option and use regular software for towing? Takes a couple of minutes to swap using the OBD plug. Either way, definitely use a tranny cooler.

Also look at upgrading your turbo solenoid. Standard one can be iffy on higher boost loads. IPD does one for around $80.

Hope this helps!

Neil.

He has a 4 speed
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I'm wondering if this car needs back pressure to function properly. I removed the two mufflers at the back (sounds beastly) and took it for a drive. Sometimes (not all the time) when I floor it, it'll cut out (acts like it is running lean or misfiring, no CEL flashing) for a second or two and then continue accelerating. The only thing I did besides cutting the mufflers off is run wiring for the tow hitch and trailer brake controller. I don't have the maintenance history for this car but it appears it was always done at the dealer. Even the battery is a Volvo brand. So, I don't know how old the spark plugs and fuel filter are. It could need a tune-up but it is odd it acts like this right after I cut the mufflers off. I do have a front O2 sensor code (still waiting on the part) but the car had that code when I bought it and it didn't cut out like this.

I'm also experiencing an issue with the headlights. I think the relay is bad. It was intermittent and pushing the relay down would restore the headlights (and blinkers, reverse lights, seat belt warning, rear foglight) and then it stopped completely. It looks like a standard Bosch 5-pin but it doesn't act like one. I had a Bosch 5-pin on hand so I plugged that in and the headlights wouldn't work at all. I took the ACC relay and put it in the headlight spot and that works, though I can't seem to turn them off when the key is on. No matter the switch position, the headlights are on (except in parking only) when the key is on. The Bosch 5-pin went into the ACC spot and I have all interior functions except for power windows. Is there an off-the-shelf option for this relay or am I going to have to order a Volvo relay?