Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

While it could be the angle gear coupler sleeve. I would suspect that my AWD would not be working. The AWD is working, I would never be able to make it up my hill with all the snow we've had. The noise is only made on deceleration at slow speeds not when applying power. My next move will be to remove the propeller shaft (drive shaft) and see what happens.

Guymon, I have the same exact sound with the same exact symptoms. I removed my prop shaft last winter, (have a replacement but haven't reinstalled yet) I know it's not that . I just had my angle gear out when I replaced my ring gear and it didn't have any signs of leakage. I hadn't researched the sleeve inspection when I had it apart (Dope).I have a used angle gear coming and got a sleeve from Tasca. (just in case)

Olevolvo, did your AWD still work?
    So with your Angle gear removed is the sound gone?

The AWD is needed now, so I might just drive it this way this winter, then start ripping stuff apart in the spring.

I removed the prop shaft 3 or 4 months before the noise started. It sounds like gear noise to me. Not bearing noise. But a bad bearing in the angle gear could make the gears whine. I plan on removing the angle gear tomorrow or the next day.

I got around to putting the car on four jacks so I could run it and find the location of the noise. It's defiantly the rear differential! I checked the level of the fluid before and it was fine. So I sucked out as much as I could and refilled it with Volvo brand rear diff fluid ($35 qrt), but it still makes the noise. So now I'll probably need to replace the rear diff. I really don't want to do this in my garage, as I don't have a lift. I would hate to find out how much the dealer would charge. So I'm doing a call out to find a good Indy in Minnesota Twin City area.
    2001 V70XC 150k

Well a final cap to this story. I diagnosed the noise coming from the rear differential. It was making the same noise as this you tube video of V70 R
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OGU7N7bwXA

So I sucked it up, and decided to do it myself. I found a used diff and VC on eBay for $200, ordered new seals for it and upgraded my jacks so I had more room under the car. I took my time and followed a few docs I found online. I ran into the typical issue of removing the prop shaft at the rear. I ended up using a bent bolt and lots of my friend BP. I slipped the bolt in each of the two holes in the back of the coupler, and just tapped at each side for a bit until it came loose. While I had the prop shaft out I serviced the CV joints on it. Some of the CV grease on the front prop shaft CV was crusty, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I also did a little rust proofing and cleaning up of the center bearing metal support on the prop shaft, it was looking pretty rusty. The removing of the rear end stuff was not too bad, but again BP Blaster came in handy with a few rusty bolts. After everything was off, the rear diff was dropped out with the help of a jack. Inspecting the rear diff the pinion was loose in there. I have not dug any further to see why it became loose. The half shafts were inspected and looked good. The new used diff went back in fine along with the prop shaft and all the other parts taken off. I only had one small issue with the parking brake cable, but I got that sorted out. Tested it on the jack stands and then road tested it today. No more noise!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 5.jpg   photo 4.jpg   photo 3.jpg   photo 2.jpg   photo 1.jpg  

2001 V70XC 150k

Congrats!
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Great write up, I'm doing the same exact thing.

Other than the sway bar, did you remove anything else so that the rear axle shafts could come out with the diff? I am having trouble lowering my diff all the way, but maybe I need to push the axles out of the hub from each side?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by guymon View Post
    Well a final cap to this story. I diagnosed the noise coming from the rear differential. It was making the same noise as this you tube video of V70 R
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OGU7N7bwXA

So I sucked it up, and decided to do it myself. I found a used diff and VC on eBay for $200, ordered new seals for it and upgraded my jacks so I had more room under the car. I took my time and followed a few docs I found online. I ran into the typical issue of removing the prop shaft at the rear. I ended up using a bent bolt and lots of my friend BP. I slipped the bolt in each of the two holes in the back of the coupler, and just tapped at each side for a bit until it came loose. While I had the prop shaft out I serviced the CV joints on it. Some of the CV grease on the front prop shaft CV was crusty, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I also did a little rust proofing and cleaning up of the center bearing metal support on the prop shaft, it was looking pretty rusty. The removing of the rear end stuff was not too bad, but again BP Blaster came in handy with a few rusty bolts. After everything was off, the rear diff was dropped out with the help of a jack. Inspecting the rear diff the pinion was loose in there. I have not dug any further to see why it became loose. The half shafts were inspected and looked good. The new used diff went back in fine along with the prop shaft and all the other parts taken off. I only had one small issue with the parking brake cable, but I got that sorted out. Tested it on the jack stands and then road tested it today. No more noise!

I don't remember having any problems with that. Are your axle bolts off? The only thing I remember is that I didn't want those half shafts popping out and banging on the ground or tearing a cv boot.

I followed this doc for removal.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/292778772/...XC-Final-Drive
    2001 V70XC 150k

Finally got it out, once I took the wheels off, and the two arms out of the way on each side, it came out much easier. The e-brake cable was the only really annoying part. Having a jack to help lower it down made things much easier too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12