Default New to my daughter but with problems

My daughter bought a 2007 XC70. Nice car but it has the following problems. The brake light is on, the triangled light in the center of the dash is on, the abs light is on and the check engine light. The odometer does not register any mileage. The brake control module was pulled and sent to a company for testing and it came back clean and had no problems. We are trying to find out how to clear these problems. Any ideas? The nearest Volvo dealer is around 400 miles from here. I am capable of doing automotive repairs and I work on Honda all the time. I have 5 of them but can't put a handle on what it takes to fix this one. Volvo is a just a bit different than Honda. I have pulled and replaced ECM on two of them. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by maruce99; 12-31-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Maybe an axle?
    Check your front axles, if one pulled out it will/can trigger all that
    Bad idea buying a Volvo 400 miles from a dealer
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Maybe an axle?
    Check your front axles, if one pulled out it will/can trigger all that
    Wouldn't that be making some noise or causing handling issues?

Also, buy one of the knock-off VIDA-DICE units from ebay. Several threads here on that, worth the money! Not all are created equal, some don't work well at all.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by maruce99 View Post
    Your car's on board computer should have some codes that may help you to pin point the problem. You may want to have the codes read. If you can find someone with VIDA/DICE tool near by, as them to help you or you can invest in this tool yourself. Searching the key word VIDA/DICE or google it you will get a lot of information on it.

Once you have a list of codes, you can post here. I am sure many people can help you out with those information. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by maruce99 View Post
    Not if it's slightly loose
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Maybe an axle?
    Not with parts available via the Net. VIDA/DiCE easily available. And fairly decent sources of valid information available right here on this forum. When dealers are no good and merely want your money for slipshod work, doesn't make much difference if they are 20 or 1000 miles away. I'm 100 miles away from the nearest dealer and I haven't even been in their parking lot in over 5 years. I really have no need for them and neither does anyone else as long as you approach the problems with the right frame of mind and a bit of logic.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

the triangled light in the center of the dash is on= thats ok, its always on, thats the fourway flashers. the abs module is ok,so check the fuses under the hood drivers side, theres 2 for the the abs, The odometer does not register any mileage.= thats because your abs has problems, fix the abs your speedo should work. some auto parts stores will have a scan tool to get your codes check them out, you can get a OTC 3109n scan tool from amazon.com for about 85 bucks to scan your volvo yourself and your hondas too.

The triangled light in the center of my instrument cluster is a warning light...when it comes on, it's an airbag, ABS, something big...

The red switch by the air vents is the 4-way...but I think the OP meant the former...
    Last edited by Astro14; 01-02-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (76K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

The triangle light in the center of the dash can be one of two colors. Orange means it's a warning like lower washer fluid or red, which means it's an error and important. Both of these would show up as messages in the message window, controlled using the left stalk by the steering wheel. You can also get more info in the message window by doing these steps
    Start the car then hold the read button on the messages stalk, while you quickly tap the rear fog light button twice, and this will bring up more stuff in the message window.