Default Transmission Fluid Change - 2008 XC90 3.2

Hello all,

I'll be doing a transmission fluid change on my 2008 3.2L XC90. I will be draining the 3 quarts from the pan, refilling and then pumping out the remainder via the return line method. I've got my JWS-3309 approved fluid and understand that there is no dipstick. Here's my questions to any who have done this previously:

1. Should the XC90 be driven for a while before changing to warm it up? I saw somewhere that the engine should be warmed up (but not the transmission), but not driven so as to overly heat the fluid and expand it so that I cannot properly measure it?

2. I know the radiator connection is for pumping it out...do I pour it in via the top torx plug on the transmission?

3. Is the proper hose size 9/16" OD for the return line method?

Thanks!
    bguzz

I would stay away from doing a 6 speed yourself, these are very tricky to change the fluid at home.
    To get the proper amount of fluid in there's a special way to measure.

ALL fluids to operating temperature
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Not tricky to change, just tricky to measure!

So I finished this last week and thought I would share my experience. It wasn't very difficult if you are careful.

The TF-80C transmission is used in a number of vehicles, including Volvo, Mazda, Ford and Saab to name a few. It doesn't have a dipstick, so you need to have a way to measure what you have taken out and replace it exactly. The best method is by weight, as you don't have to worry about volume/temp combinations. I used 2 empty gallon water jugs and made sure I didn't spill anything...it worked great.

The old fluid at 64K miles was as black as used engine oil...so much for it being lifetime fluid! I replaced it with Redline D4, which is JWS3309 compliant and fully synthetic. As an aside, either in 2010 or 2011 the fluid spec changed to AW1, best as I can tell that is a less viscous fluid and allows Volvo to meet CAFE standards, but there is some evidence that the transmission also had some modifications in that year/change.

I would skip the draining of the pan and just to the flush method with the tube in the radiator cooler...it is simpler and you just need a few more on/off refills to get there. I highly recommend doing this if you feel capable. I didn't expect any change in transmission function after this, but surprisingly, my XC90 shifts noticeably smoother...I never thought it was hard shifting to begin with, but am pleasantly surprised to see the smoother operation. BTW, 'flush' is really the wrong term here...all you are doing is allowing the internal pump to push the fluid out. A true flush system applies external pressure that may be slightly greater than the internal pump. Look at this like you are just breaking the circuit and replacing the fluid.
    Last edited by Bguzz; 03-13-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bguzz View Post
    So I finished this last week and thought I would share my experience. It wasn't very difficult if you are careful.

The TF-80C transmission is used in a number of vehicles, including Volvo, Mazda, Ford and Saab to name a few. It doesn't have a dipstick, so you need to have a way to measure what you have taken out and replace it exactly. The best method is by weight, as you don't have to worry about volume/temp combinations. I used 2 empty gallon water jugs and made sure I didn't spill anything...it worked great.

The old fluid at 64K miles was as black as used engine oil...so much for it being lifetime fluid! I replaced it with Redline D4, which is JWS3309 compliant and fully synthetic. As an aside, either in 2010 or 2011 the fluid spec changed to AW1, best as I can tell that is a less viscous fluid and allows Volvo to meet CAFE standards, but there is some evidence that the transmission also had some modifications in that year/change.

I would skip the draining of the pan and just to the flush method with the tube in the radiator cooler...it is simpler and you just need a few more on/off refills to get there. I highly recommend doing this if you feel capable. I didn't expect any change in transmission function after this, but surprisingly, my XC90 shifts noticeably smoother...I never thought it was hard shifting to begin with, but am pleasantly surprised to see the smoother operation. BTW, 'flush' is really the wrong term here...all you are doing is allowing the internal pump to push the fluid out. A true flush system applies external pressure that may be slightly greater than the internal pump. Look at this like you are just breaking the circuit and replacing the fluid.
    Was 9/16" the correct size for the return line? I'm thinking of doing this soon myself. Also, are you aware of a transmission filter because I can't seem to find anything on the xc90 even having one. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bguzz View Post
    As an aside, either in 2010 or 2011 the fluid spec changed to AW1, best as I can tell that is a less viscous fluid and allows Volvo to meet CAFE standards
    Red Line D6 satisfies AW-1 applications

Kris
    2008 XC 70 - 90,000 miles
    Bilstein struts
    Active Bi-Xenon lights
    trans flushed with Shell Spirax S5 ATF X - Lubeguard Platinum
    NGK laser welded Iridium plugs
    ALWAYS 0w40 Mobil 1 with a German made Mann filter

Quote Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
    Was 9/16" the correct size for the return line? I'm thinking of doing this soon myself. Also, are you aware of a transmission filter because I can't seem to find anything on the xc90 even having one. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
    yes, 9/16 is the right one. There is no filter in these transmissions.

There is so much conflicting or missing information regarding this topic.

First off, I own a 2006 XC90 2.5T with 86K miles. It runs and shifts fine but like many that purchase a used vehicle, I want to know everything is squared away.
    Let me be the one to tell anyone searching for info. regarding a DIY drain and fill on this vehicle:
    It has no dipstick
    It has one hose that is accessible
    There is a drain plug but you had better locate the fill hole first and NO ONE here nor anywhere else has made it clear or illustrated where precisely it is located. It's a plug with a Torx bit head.
    The discussion about fluids to use has achieved the stupid point here. Yes you need to use a fluid that meets the JSW-3309 and yes it is silly overpriced and the Toyota T-IV fluid is the same at a fraction of the cost...BUT you can also use Castrol
    Transmax synthetic which I widely available http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224

I can do most basic and advanced basic car repairs but this task on this vehicle is a dealer or competent independent mechanic task and all of the loud mouthing about fluid is over the top and Interweb showboating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropduster View Post
    There is so much conflicting or missing information regarding this topic.

First off, I own a 2006 XC90 2.5T with 86K miles. It runs and shifts fine but like many that purchase a used vehicle, I want to know everything is squared away.
    Let me be the one to tell anyone searching for info. regarding a DIY drain and fill on this vehicle:
    It has no dipstick
    It has one hose that is accessible
    There is a drain plug but you had better locate the fill hole first and NO ONE here nor anywhere else has made it clear or illustrated where precisely it is located. It's a plug with a Torx bit head.
    The discussion about fluids to use has achieved the stupid point here. Yes you need to use a fluid that meets the JSW-3309 and yes it is silly overpriced and the Toyota T-IV fluid is the same at a fraction of the cost...BUT you can also use Castrol
    Transmax synthetic which I widely available http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224

I can do most basic and advanced basic car repairs but this task on this vehicle is a dealer or competent independent mechanic task and all of the loud mouthing about fluid is over the top and Interweb showboating.
    I know...I know...old thread but guess what. People still find these.

TO clarify the JSW-3309/Toyota TIV. I've been using the Mobile 1 (3309) for years in the T5 XC/V70 for years. It's the same...works the same...is the same. Carry on...

6 years later and I'm following up! My XC90 is running well, but with a slight shudder, so I thought I would try to flush the transmission fluid again...which was a good idea. The XC has 124K on it now and 60K on the Redline D4 I originally flushed in 2013. In investigating the TF-80C transmission, I decided to go back to the Aisin standard of JWS3309 oil and bought 18 quarts from Summit (only about $4.50/qt), much better than $15/qt for Redline. I went this way because the car is older and not sure how much longer I am going to keep it, plus in reading about the transmission, Aisin makes it pretty clear that JWS3309 (otherwise knows as Toyota T-IV) is a thicker fluid and has NO friction modifiers in it. I know redline d4 says it meets JWS3309, but it also meets multiple dexron and mercon formulations, which DO have friction modifiers in them. So while I didn't seem to have any issues running it, I'm just going to stick with plain old JWS3309.

So, I flushed 17 quarts through it, and was again surprised how dark and thin the old fluid was (especially since it was a high quality Redline full synthetic). I've attached a picture of the first running of the changed fluid on the right, and the new fluid on the left. Its definitely used motor oil looking. I used the 9/16" hose method, which is very easy and used weight measurements to make sure I replaced exactly what I pumped out. Car runs great again, not that it was bad to begin with.

I don't know why Volvo suggests this is a lifetime fluid. I found elsewhere in some forum that if the vehicle is used for towing or in a commercial setting (eg., taxi or police), Volvo recommends replacing the transmission fluid at 55K intervals. So there you have it. Just thought I would follow up 6 years later since I did it again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XC90_ATF1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	8955