Question bit over 100K, TBelt? suspension work, shocks struts - upgrade? OEM? Where to buy?

My 07' XC70 is a little over 100K and I would like to get a ride a bit less floppy. It is probably time for new shocks, struts and rubber pieces. Going with poly-s from IPD is tempting, but from experience with older VOlvos they may also make ride too harsh.
    What is the group wisdom?
    Shocks/Struts - OEM, or any reasonably priced upgrades, that firm the ride up, but not too harsh on my aged backbone?
    Bushings? Which ones are definitely must be replaced? It's winter, so no DIY, will have to have shop do it, or wait till spring (another ~10kmiles).

Also local dealer has 20% off timing belt job. According to the service manual 07' XC70 in the US market can go up to 120Kmiles, not 105Kmiles as the rest of the pack. Should I take advantage of the dealer's offer now?

-Michael

07' XC70, 101K

The 120K belt change started in 2004
    Personally, (I and many others), would never wait until that mileage for many reasons.
    100K in my limit for T-belts and the tensioners.

When I bought my 07 with 110K miles, I changed everything from just above the control arms and up.
    All tie rods, struts and shocks, 4 springs spring seats, bearing plates, rear shock mounts, complete breather box replacement, all 3 motor mounts. "Some" hoses and lines and a bit later one control arm/ball joint
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Here's a suspension kit that does exactly what you want. I wouldn't buy it though, get OEM from a discount Volvo supplier such as Tasca or other online supplier. Also replacing the steering linkages is probably overkill, at 220K miles I've only replaced one inner tie rod. No bushings to press in/out, not worth the hassle and the entire replacement control arm with bushings pressed in isn't much more than buying just the bushings. Timing belt is listed as 120k miles/10yrs from 2005, many people replace earlier, even as few as 80K miles.
    Last edited by sjonnie; 12-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Here's a suspension kit that does exactly what you want. I wouldn't buy it though, get OEM from a discount Volvo supplier such as Tasca or other online supplier. Also replacing the steering linkages is probably overkill, at 220K miles I've only replaced one inner tie rod. No bushings to press in/out, not worth the hassle and the entire replacement control arm with bushings pressed in isn't much more than buying just the bushings. Timing belt is listed as 120k miles/10yrs from 2005, many people replace earlier, even as few as 80K miles.
    Looks clear to me on the timing belt, will do it sooner, especially if it's "on sale".

This kit shows yellow bushings, that look like poly, not rubber. Is poly- bushings Volvo OEM on XC70, or is it an "upgrade"? I had some not so good experience with yellow poly- bushings from FCP with 90' 740, got rid of them quickly, and went back with blue IPD stuff. Not sure I want to go poly- on the XC70.

Also it seems that this kit applies to both V70 and XC70, even though XC70 rides higher?

Is this job do-able without the lift, on jackstands in a driveway? OR is it a real PITA. I checked the IPD kit manual and it said subframes would have to go down, or is t only when sway bars are replaced? I have replaced some suspension bits before, but never done struts myself. Is wheel alignment necessary after this job? If it's DIY I might wait till spring and do it myself, otherwise, I'll have shop do it for me at the same time as Timing belt.

Any labor savings doing suspension job and TBelt at the same time?

Thanks,
    -Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 740gle View Post
    Is this job do-able without the lift, on jackstands in a driveway? OR is it a real PITA. I checked the IPD kit manual and it said subframes would have to go down, or is t only when sway bars are replaced? I have replaced some suspension bits before, but never done struts myself. Is wheel alignment necessary after this job? If it's DIY I might wait till spring and do it myself, otherwise, I'll have shop do it for me at the same time as Timing belt.
    Any labor savings doing suspension job and TBelt at the same time?
    Absolutely, I do all my DIY stuff on jackstands in the driveway. The kit is an example of all the things you might want, the yellow bump stops you don't really need for example, nuts and end caps you can reuse if you like, the star nut tool is useful to have but not essential etc. Nothing particularly difficult for the job, no need to touch subframe, yes you will need wheel alignment, especially if you replace tie rods. Minor labor saving from doing both together but dealer will likely not let you bring in your discount parts which is where you'll save $$$.

I bought all my parts from FCP, I was real pleased with their service. They have kits of various levels and pricing depending on your needs. The one listed is all suspension components, I replaced struts, ball joints, strut plates and bearings and control arms, it really tightened up my front end to like new.