Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mystery rear light .. MY06 XC70

The rear light cluster on my MY 06 XC70 has what appears to be 4 red LED on the lower outside portion of the cluster. However, I can't seem to identify the "bulb" for these lights. Since only the driver's side is in-operative, I would like to replace them ... but looking inside the rear access panel does not provide much help, as where I would think the "bulb" would be there is just a black plastic "spear" penetrating the cluster housing that does not demonstrate any willingness to be removed. Also, these apparent LED "bulbs" do not appear in the blub list in the owners manual. Since all the other bulbs on the driver's side appear to be functioning .. I am in the dark as to where to look next. Further, the wiring diagram for the lighting does also not shed much "light" on my problem.
    As always, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    --
    John
    Knoxville, TN

Part of the lower tailight
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks for the suggestion JRL .. but the "LEDs" that I am referring to are on the outside of the bottom light element that houses the backup light. Since the "LEDs" are functioning on the passenger side I tried removing each of the bulbs in the rear cluster to see when the LEDs went out .. but they didn't. The LEDs come on when the light switch is in the "parking lights" position. The previous owner had a UHaul trailer hitch and wiring adapter installed and I am concerned that a wire was cut/pinched as I can see where a previous attempt at inline splicing was made. But before I start peeling insulation on the wires I would like to make sure I am working on the right one .. unfortunately the wiring diagram is not particularly helpful.

I am having the same problem myself. My drivers side LEDs are coming on but the passenger side is not. I did find a part called a diode bridge that appears to be the correct part. Take a look at the part and taillight diagram here: http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/...-XC/Taillights

It appears to be part number 17. I am not sure if I want to attempt purchasing this instead of a whole lower taillight assembly.
    2007 XC70 Willow Green Exterior / Graphite Interior / Adventure Package

Possible Mods: iPhone/Bluetooth Integration (in the works) / Tinted Windows / Refinish Wheels / Satellite Radio / Remote Start

I am having the same problem myself. The drivers side LEDs are working but the passenger side is not. In looking at what options I have available I looked into what part might work in lieu of replacing the whole taillight assembly.

I found a part called a diode bridge which appears to be the item according to the taillight assembly part diagram. Take a look at item 17 here:

http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/...-XC/Taillights

I haven't yet tried to take my taillight apart so I would be interested to know if anyone has experience with replacing their LED as opposed to the whole taillight.
    2007 XC70 Willow Green Exterior / Graphite Interior / Adventure Package

Possible Mods: iPhone/Bluetooth Integration (in the works) / Tinted Windows / Refinish Wheels / Satellite Radio / Remote Start

John,

These are part of the rear tail light, are in fact a series of 4 LEDs and are not serviceable.
    If a cable is cut, great you can repair and hopefully the LEDs work, otherwise you replace the tail light as the LEDs are not replaceable.
    2013 XC70 T6, Premier Plus, BLIS Black/Black 18K miles, stock
    2004 XC70 Premium, Convenience, Climate Blue/Tan 122K miles, 2007+ ABL lights, IPD sways F & R, TME exhaust, SS brake lines, R Brembo calipers & rotors, Akebono ceramic pads F & R (replaced PCV, power steering rack, struts and springs, end links, ball joints, A-arms, all fluids)

I think I said that, now maybe the OP will listen and not continue to argue this
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

There was some discussion a while back surrounding steps taken towards replacement of the diode. You might find what you’re looking for in the thread below:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...-lens-assembly

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Guess it is time to see which wire got pinched/cut by the UHaul guy.
    --
    John

The 2007 and up V/XC70 do indeed have LEDs in the lower sections of the taillight units. Contrary to what you’d expect, those LEDs sometimes do fail.

However, contrary to what is implied above, those LEDs can be replaced separately, without having to replace bottom taillight unit as well. These are the Volvo part numbers (check with your dealer or parts website if they have them; Tasca seems to have them available):

Right side: 8663867
    Left side: 30674783

They should be about $50 a piece.

To replace them, remove the top taillight assembly first, then take out the bottom one. At the bottom, near the LEDs sits a little cover plate, attached by 2 little screws. Remove this cover, and behind it sits the print with the LEDs. Detach the connectors, remove the print, and reassemble in reverse order with the new LEDs. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast