Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battery Recommendation

At the moment, with what you have now, would you recommend your battery to me? Not looking for the 'best' battery, but something you feel right about, especially in a cold region. If you are recommending, what is your battery's CCA (Cold Crank Amperage) and what would be the highest CCA you would recommend?

For me now, I would not get WalMart's. I have always used the two brands they have. Now, I would like to try somewhere else. Autozone, Napa, O'Riellys, Costco?

When replacing the battery, any out-of-the-book caution I should be aware of?
    Thanks.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

When I replaced my battery I found it difficult to find a non Volvo battery. I did find one but it was a little shorter and the hold down would not engage the lip on the bottom. I ended up with a battery from the Volvo dealer. I don't remember its specs but it was very much shorter that the one that came with the car when it was new. It seems that the space is for two sizes of battery. I suspect that the larger battery was for a diesel. Nobody at the dealer could explain why I had the larger battery.

I live in a cold region and the original lasted about 8 years and I replaced it provocatively, not because it failed.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Quote Originally Posted by wgriswold View Post
    When I replaced my battery I found it difficult to find a non Volvo battery. I did find one but it was a little shorter and the hold down would not engage the lip on the bottom. I ended up with a battery from the Volvo dealer. I don't remember its specs but it was very much shorter that the one that came with the car when it was new. It seems that the space is for two sizes of battery. I suspect that the larger battery was for a diesel. Nobody at the dealer could explain why I had the larger battery.

I live in a cold region and the original lasted about 8 years and I replaced it provocatively, not because it failed.
    What is the battery's CCA? Well, I guess the dealer would have the recommended CCA rate and nothing higher because of warranty.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

I don't remember the CCA. I do remember that it was less than the longer battery the car came with. I was assured that it was the battery that came up for my car. It has a Volvo name on it but was certainly not made by Volvo. I would have bought an aftermarket battery for 2/3 the price but wasn't willing to install it no being tied down.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

AGM batteries in both Volvos: Duralast Platinum from Autozone, DieHard Gold from Sears.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

If you do some searching around here, you will find Volvo part numbers for the regular battery and larger battery.

My 2007 is on the original battery (so 7 years old now) and going strong. When the time comes I'll look up the big battery PN and pick up one of those.

I got an exact fit Bosch replacement at Pep Boys about a year ago. Size 48, 600 cca, 750 ca, vent tube nipple. I'm pretty sure there was a in-store rebate that brought it under $90. On principle, since they offered, I even had them put it in (under my strict supervision, of course). It was a no brainer.
    I'm sure Bosch only "Brands" them. I have no idea who actually manufactures it.

Edit: quick google search: Bosch=Exide.
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

When I ordered the XC in 2003, I had the dealer fit the largest battery that would fit.
    This 92Ah battery is still in fine condition after more than 10 years.
    I think it is worthwhile to consider a large capacity battery, not just one with much cca.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I would prefer costco for their amazingly simple/easy returns/warranty policy.

The problem might be finding the H8 battery in their stores. The H6 is availablethough.

I bought a battery from Waltmart for the 2001 V70/XC I used to have. It worked great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast