Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rain sensor / new windshield

On a really hot day, a while ago, wife decided she wanted to wash the car ('03 XC70).

I had a bad feeling about this, as my wife and any sort of anything having to do with cars or anything mechanical, electrical... you name it... don't mix very well at all... There are no problems with her driving the cars, but something as simple as filling up windshield fluid is asking for serious trouble.

Anyway, I told her about her washing the car being a bad idea, bit I did not know why, and she was insistent... three minutes later - ice cold well water, scorching hot July day = cracked windshield.

I took me couple years to finally decide I wanted the windshield replaced - asked my regular Volvo guys, they pointed toward SafeLite, giving them thumbs up.

Made an appointment, was asked whether my car had rain sensor, which it does. Upon arrival for service asked one of the technicians again if he knows what to do with the rain sensor, to which he said that it'd all be fine... Then, as far as I could see, they just peeled the old windshield off and put the new one on without paying any special attention to the sensor...

Surprise, surprise, it rained yesterday and the sensor does not work. Actually, it does not work right, which is even worse than if it did not work at all, as it does this random-ish stuff.

The questions I have:

1) How can I open that plastic cover below the mirror without breaking anything? I want to take a look.
    2) Is there any chance to get the sensor working without getting a new windshield again?
    3) If not, can the rain sensing be switched off somehow, so I just have the intermittent wipers?

Thanks as always.

I thought 04s started with rain sensors not 03.

Anyhow.... Volvo rain sensors will NOT work with 95% maybe 100% of any aftermarket glass, rain sensor equipped or not, so either spend $600+ on a new factory windshield or unplug the sensor and use the manual delay wipers like we all did before the (IMO useless) rain sensor was developed.

You disconnect it by unsnapping the cap on the windshield, (just squeeze it a bit and pull off) unplug the wires and snap the cover back on, very easy, nothing TO look at.
    Usually the early rain sensors never worked right anyway, not until the 2005s
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I thought 04s started with rain sensors not 03.

Anyhow.... Volvo rain sensors will NOT work with 95% maybe 100% of any aftermarket glass, rain sensor equipped or not, so either spend $600+ on a new factory windshield or unplug the sensor and use the manual delay wipers like we all did before the (IMO useless) rain sensor was developed.

You disconnect it by unsnapping the cap on the windshield, (just squeeze it a bit and pull off) unplug the wires and snap the cover back on, very easy, nothing TO look at.
    Usually the early rain sensors never worked right anyway, not until the 2005s
    Thank you for the info, JRL. That is what I am going to do.

P.S. My car is an '03, built in summer of '02, I purchased it in the end of November same year. It has a rain sensor, and it had been working REALLY well, up until the new windshield. :-)
    Last edited by pelagikos; 11-18-2013 at 01:31 PM.

I have an '03 with a rain sensor. It works well most of the time, but sometimes it does seem to get confused.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

I'm telling you no 03-04 rain sensor works properly
    05 they were upgraded and pretty foolproof.

Personally I NEVER use it.
    If you can't adjust your own wiper delay you shouldn't be driving a car (IMO)

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

It could be the glass or the rain sensor silicon gel pack. If the previous gel pack is reused and does not adhere properly to the surface of the new glass then the sensor will likely fail. I replaced a severely cracked front windshield on my 06 this past summer with a fresh sheet of PGW glass and ordered a new sensor/gel pack online. Works great.
    You could ask the tech that replaced the windshield to try and source a compatible gel pack for your car. Other option would be to order a new rain sensor assembly. I obtained mine from Tasca.

Default My '04 experience

In my 04 I have had to replace the windshield twice (separate occurrences; two winters and the gravel they use in CT in winter). In the first case, the insurance company put in aftermarket glass, and the sensor didn't work. They replaced it with another brand of aftermarket, and the sensor worked intermittently, but not 100%. Still not satisfied, I insisted on having the sensor work, after all I paid for it. The third in that period was Volvo (OEM) glass, and the sensor worked perfectly. The second occurrence (3-4 years later), when I called the insurance company to report the glass loss, I relayed the previous experience (two different insurance companies), and to their credit they went directly with the Volvo (OEM) glass. Sensor works perfectly, the first time. When speaking with the installer for the second occurrence, he told me he's had mixed experience with aftermarket glass, but in his opinion it was the tint in the aftermarket (too dark) or the bracket (not quite perfect) that was the culprit. He always re-uses the silicone (and I think the other installers told me the same thing). When he sees aftermarket in his truck, he told me he warns the owner before replacement and gives them the workaround (unplug the sensor). Surprisingly, most stay with the aftermarket rather than fight with the insurance company (or pay $1100 vs $400).
    ---
    '04 AWD
    '05 XC (totaled in a rear end collision; RIP)
    '06 XC

Quote Originally Posted by user17600 View Post
    In my 04 I have had to replace the windshield twice (separate occurrences; two winters and the gravel they use in CT in winter). In the first case, the insurance company put in aftermarket glass, and the sensor didn't work. They replaced it with another brand of aftermarket, and the sensor worked intermittently, but not 100%. Still not satisfied, I insisted on having the sensor work, after all I paid for it. The third in that period was Volvo (OEM) glass, and the sensor worked perfectly. The second occurrence (3-4 years later), when I called the insurance company to report the glass loss, I relayed the previous experience (two different insurance companies), and to their credit they went directly with the Volvo (OEM) glass. Sensor works perfectly, the first time. When speaking with the installer for the second occurrence, he told me he's had mixed experience with aftermarket glass, but in his opinion it was the tint in the aftermarket (too dark) or the bracket (not quite perfect) that was the culprit. He always re-uses the silicone (and I think the other installers told me the same thing). When he sees aftermarket in his truck, he told me he warns the owner before replacement and gives them the workaround (unplug the sensor). Surprisingly, most stay with the aftermarket rather than fight with the insurance company (or pay $1100 vs $400).
    Makes sense.
    Despite that I like the feature A LOT, I am probably just going to unplug it. If it was a newer car, I'd put some effort or money or both into making sure it works. For this one, I don't think it's worth it.

Separately, here is what I found regarding repairing gel pads for this particular sensor type:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKg9Z4RPgbA

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I'm telling you no 03-04 rain sensor works properly
    05 they were upgraded and pretty foolproof.

Personally I NEVER use it.
    If you can't adjust your own wiper delay you shouldn't be driving a car (IMO)
    Wow, JRL, you really come across as an arrogant person at times. Nobody was discounting your opinion about the 03-04 rain sensor. I was merely pointing out that I have an '03 with a rain sensor, so obviously they were installed on the 03s. I never said they worked well all the time. Lighten up dude!
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

And I didn't harp on it, I moved on to where they usually don't work and they don't.
    I suggest YOU lighten up DUDE
    And DON'T call me dude, I could be your grandfather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast