Default Left side tail light mystery 2005 xc70

I can't seem to figure out what kind of electrical problem I have with my 2005 xc70. With the car off, but the key turned for radio listening and such, all of my tail lights work perfectly. No blown bulbs, no flickering etc. When I turn over the car and it runs for about 2 or 3 seconds, both tail lights on the left side go out. The tail lights on the right continue to stay lit as they should. Any ideas? I'm thinking it is either a relay somewhere or perhaps a problem with the REM (Rear engine module). Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by mcleandelavega; 11-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.

I think relays are no longer used in the lighting system of a MY2005.
    Willy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I would check the wires in the tailgate hinge area first. If they are all good, I would take out the bulbs in question and clean up the contacts both on the bulbs and connections on the lamps using some fine sand paper and electronic contact cleaner after that. If this is not fixing the problem, I would then look into other possible issues.

Quote Originally Posted by swimNdrive View Post
    I would check the wires in the tailgate hinge area first. If they are all good, I would take out the bulbs in question and clean up the contacts both on the bulbs and connections on the lamps using some fine sand paper and electronic contact cleaner after that. If this is not fixing the problem, I would then look into other possible issues.
    Thanks for that suggestion, although I think in this case it might not be the connections or the hinge wiring. The lights work fine when the engine isn't running and the key is turned to listen to the radio. The bulb contacts are fine too.
    Last edited by mcleandelavega; 11-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I think relays are no longer used in the lighting system of a MY2005.
    Willy
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. I was looking for a malfunctioning "shunt"--a relay of sorts-, but I had my info from a 2001 xc70 forum, and the newer 2005s no longer have the shunts. I'm a bit over my head here. Thanks! I'm thinking it might be the REM, but still not sure.

Default Update on mystery tail light issue

Well, I finally got my volvo codes read. Here are the codes my Volvo has:
    ECM-630b A/C relay-signal missing
    CEM 1a5a communication with REM control module signal missing
    CEM 1A64 communication with AOC control module Signal missing
    CEM 8F52 Relay, headlamp cleaning Signal too low/Signal missing
    CEM 9c03 Antenna/light ring Signal missing
    CCM-0061 Damper motor Internal fault

Any new insights on what might be causing this? I looked inside the CEM and I see no corrosion. Same with the REM. Still I suspect the CEM, but just because this year is notorious for faulty CEM as a result of water leakage...