Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok, I got a replacement used pan carrier, bolts, and a driveshaft with 90k miles on it. The driveshaft was marked '01, which is good, since my car is a 2001. I bolted the front in just snug, pushed the center pan down a bit to bend the driveshaft a bit to get it lined up with the coupler at the rear connection, attached the center bearing support the bolts to finger tight, and then went to start the rear bolts. I got them all started, but (here is my question!) the coupling had a space between the driveshaft joint and the rear diff/haldex, but small enough that I got all the bolts started with the bow-tie washers in place. I mean it went into the cup on the rear drive unit, but not so far that it touched the mating surface. I then snugged them down and the space closed up. I was not able to pull on the joint to close up the gap, I had to use the tightening of the bolts to get the space closed up. I tightened everything else, and took it for a drive. Is this normal that the driveshaft seemed a 1/4 to 1/2 inch short? everything else up to the front connection was loose so the part should have gotten into the right position after snugging the rear bolts. I think I did it right, any opinions?

Now that it is 4 wheel drive again and since it is a new car to me, this test drive was the first time I have driven it since driving home from previous owner as a front wheel drive car. When I let off the gas at any speed there is a low subtle whine. It sounds like it is coming from the back. (My next question) What most often fails on the rear driveline in these cars? I looked at the rear diff, and there was some oily crud around the drivers side halfshaft output, I did top up the rear diff with good low friction 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil, and it did take about 300ml before the oil started running out. Rebuild? Replace? New bearings and seals? I imagine it has to come out for any of that. Drive it and don't ever slow down with engine braking? Drive it until it gets real loud then replace? many questions.... But I will be happy if I can get help with the first 2.

Wink putting the drivesahft in and what sounds are coming out of the car now.

Quote Originally Posted by jebbcorp View Post
    Ok, I got a replacement used pan carrier, bolts, and a driveshaft with 90k miles on it. The driveshaft was marked '01, which is good, since my car is a 2001. I bolted the front in just snug, pushed the center pan down a bit to bend the driveshaft a bit to get it lined up with the coupler at the rear connection, attached the center bearing support the bolts to finger tight, and then went to start the rear bolts. I got them all started, but (here is my question!) the coupling had a space between the driveshaft joint and the rear diff/haldex, but small enough that I got all the bolts started with the bow-tie washers in place. I mean it went into the cup on the rear drive unit, but not so far that it touched the mating surface. I then snugged them down and the space closed up. I was not able to pull on the joint to close up the gap, I had to use the tightening of the bolts to get the space closed up. I tightened everything else, and took it for a drive. Is this normal that the driveshaft seemed a 1/4 to 1/2 inch short? everything else up to the front connection was loose so the part should have gotten into the right position after snugging the rear bolts. I think I did it right, any opinions?

Now that it is 4 wheel drive again and since it is a new car to me, this test drive was the first time I have driven it since driving home from previous owner as a front wheel drive car. When I let off the gas at any speed there is a low subtle whine. It sounds like it is coming from the back. (My next question) What most often fails on the rear driveline in these cars? I looked at the rear diff, and there was some oily crud around the drivers side halfshaft output, I did top up the rear diff with good low friction 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil, and it did take about 300ml before the oil started running out. Rebuild? Replace? New bearings and seals? I imagine it has to come out for any of that. Drive it and don't ever slow down with engine braking? Drive it until it gets real loud then replace? many questions.... But I will be happy if I can get help with the first 2.
    My question probably stems from the fact that I have never taken a driveshaft out of a 2001 Volvo XC70 or V70. The car came with the DS out already. When putting it in, is it typical that the ends do not push up against the either end. I suppose it would be bad if it were real tight.

I recall taking my 01 prop shaft out, rebuilt the front CV and put back in without any length problems. The CVs slide on a splined shaft and maximum extension is limited by a circlip. Here is the CV taken apart on my 01.

You should be able to slide the CV to extend the length pretty freely to mate it up against the flange on the VC. If you had to use the bolt to pull it tight, either the CV didn't slide easily on the spline or already up against the circlip. Might loosen the bolts and check if the CV slides on the spline to provide length variations.

Last edited by howardc64; 11-15-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I think you should have packed the front cv boot with grease before reinstalling.

+1

Re-do the cv-joints, replace and service before installing. Howard has a DIY on this.
    Cups must fit both ends, VC in rear and AG in front. The screw are fasteners, NOT..., I would be careful.
    Drain the fluid and refill with fresh 600-700ml.
    Clean final drive vent, a pinhole for cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by olevolvo View Post
    I think you should have packed the front cv boot with grease before reinstalling.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Looking at the sites that sell this propeller shaft (I believe this is the proper name from Volvo rather than drive shaft but we all know what you mean), 01-02 parts seem identical. I would guess the 03+ AWD system change to Haldex change the design slightly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-V70-Pr...5e38c1&vxp=mtr

http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/volvo.htm

Colorado driveshaft's link has a prop shaft for sale for 01-02. They do quite a few rebuilds on this prop shaft. You might call them to confirm there are no other variations (eg length) between 01-02s.

=====

Here is a guess, I wonder if there is any play in the center bearing mounts which can change the length slightly on either side? I don't know remember if there was any play or if this possible.

You can try this test. Loosen the center bearing's mount bolts and see if there is any lateral play.

=====

Did you have to apply a lot of torque to get rear CV snug up to the flange? If CV was at the limit against the circlip and the drive shaft isn't long enough, I'd imagine you would have to apply quite a bit of force and I'm not sure you can get past the circlip without breaking something.
    Last edited by howardc64; 11-15-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12