Question Can't remove rear shock - stuck on pin... HELP

So, I figured I would try the rear shocks first since I've heard they were easier and definitely less parts... I got the left side off without much of an issue, but the right side shock won't come off the pin on the bottom.

I initially tried to hit it with a rubber mallet... nothing... I have a tie-rod separator (metal fork) and wasn't able to get that in at first, but using the rubber mallet and finally the regular hammer I was able to get the separator in between the shock and the control arm... Between the separator and a small (18") flat bar the outer part of the shock was moving, but the metal center of the shock that is stuck on the pin didn't budge.

I was able to get a round vice grip on the metal piece in the center but nothing moved...

5' steel pry bar from both sides of the car, under, etc... nothing...

I spent the better part of 3 hours trying to get the shock off... Out of the entire front and rear suspension replacement kit I was able to get the driver side shock and spring replaced...

Any thoughts on how to get the shock off the pin?
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

Is it loose enough up top? The control arm has to come down a fair amount. I used the spare tire jack to lower it rather than the come along as suggested in VIDA.

Wade

sorry, yes the top was down about an inch. I did the same thing with the spare tire jack and it came down more than enough on both sides... one side popped out, the other side wouldn't budge...

I thought about drilling holes in the rubber bushing between the center metal cylinder and the outer cylinder... I tried that with the old jack removed from the driver's side. After about 30 holes and no real movement I figured it wasn't worth trying on the one that's stuck.
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

I have used a seriously heavy duty ratchet strap more or less as recommended by Vidas and it worked but I doubt it would work with a cheap ratchet strap.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    I have used a seriously heavy duty ratchet strap more or less as recommended by Vidas and it worked but I doubt it would work with a cheap ratchet strap.
    ooooooh, i like this idea.... I'm sure I can find something to hook onto under there... I may have to spring for some new ones. I have some inch and a half straps that are starting to wear. How big of a strap did you use?
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Quote Originally Posted by passleft View Post
    ooooooh, i like this idea.... I'm sure I can find something to hook onto under there... I may have to spring for some new ones. I have some inch and a half straps that are starting to wear. How big of a strap did you use?
    I brought one from warlmart, the largest they have, I think is rated 3k lb. but that is still not enough. what I do, is to tie it down as much as you can, then use a jack to raise the opposite side of control arm, so it pulls the working side further down. and do that one at a time, since it is harder to put the shock back in, than taking out.

btw, not sure if you use FCP full kit and spring. I had the full kit, but rear spring came with the last ring larger than the old one. after two weeks of riding, the passenger side rear spring pop out the lower shock seat. FCP is helping to RMA those. It may be just one off thing for me, but be aware, if you see the spring end ring appears larger. Since that was my first suspension job, I did not realize the issue before putting everything back...

good luck with your job
    '03 Volvo V70 (totaled by rear ended)
    '04 Volvo XC70 (brought off Ebay for replacement)
    '02 BMW 325i (fun drive)
    '98 BMW F650 (funride)
    '08 Toyota Sienna (family cruiser)

I finally got to work on this today. I bought a 14' - 2" straps from Lowes the other day. U was able to connect it to a few parts on the front end. After cranking it down a couple of times the outer metal and bushing were almost an inch away. I gave it a few hits with the separator and it popped right off. Definitely a great trick, thanx for mentioning it!
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!