Default Front Strut install questions

OK, so it's been a few years since I've replaced any struts/shocks and am second guessing myself. I purchased the kit from FCP for the front and rear suspension replacement and also added all 4 springs since those need to be replaced also. I'm planning on doing the work tomorrow, but figured I'd familiarize myself tonight and don't have the car apart yet for comparison. As I'm sitting here in the garage with I've run into the following newbie questions. And of course my VM with Vida doesn't want to cooperate:

Obviously these rediculously huge springs need to compressed down quite a bit to get on the struts (the smaller springs don't line up with the correct grooves on the struts). Does it sounds correct that the springs would be about 8" taller than the assembled strut top without them?

There's a white rubber sleeve on the spring, do I leave that on the spring when I install it or take that off? (told you these were newbie questions...)

Figuring the correct order of parts to install based on all the diagrams... http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7091/...rut-top-washer
    From top down (not the way you install it, but the last ones put on the strut.)
    -the nut that came on the strut
    -the rubber strut washer with the flat side up.
    -the funky 4-point strut nut with the 4-pointed flat side up.
    -metal plate with 3 screws up...
    etc...

What do I torque everything to?

Is it just because it's late, or am I really this stupid to try and do this myself??
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

Just finished this except for the springs and I have yet to do the outer tie rod ends. Good instructions on Howards Volvo site. I would recommend reading them over if you haven't done that yet. Can't comment on spring height. Likely good files in the resource section here too. There was a very recent post here I believe where I guy did a very nice write up in a .pdf format. I can't find the thread at the moment but if the howards volvo site isn't enough info for you pm me with your info and I will send you the pdf.

Wade

Thanx, I've been reading Howard's site and the resources here. There's plenty of pics and instructions for the rear, but not that much for the front except the link Howard gives to the guy with the 850...

I'll send you a PM, any extra pdfs would be great. Thanx!
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

You need 2 sets of spring compressor if you are changing springs. Use the tools in stages to compress from free length to compacted coil which will fit under the washer.

I didn't like this part as the spring is unconstrained in the middle of the coil when you begin so just take care when tightening down on the compressor bolts.

If you had access to 3 sets of compressors(6 clamps total) you can use 3 per set and be more secure during clamping process.

I was ok with one set for the rears, but the fronts definitely needed 2 sets (4 total) to get them clamped down enough to get under all the parts.
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!