Default '02 V70 X/C Walkthrough- Struts, control arms, ball joints, axles, and sway bar links

Hi all,

Last weekend I did this job on my 2002 XC. Shop quote was ~$5K, while the DIY bill came to about $1200. I decided that a few thousand dollars was good enough reason to get familiar with the front end. This was my first time doing suspension components.

I took photos and notes, and I assembled as complete a walkthrough as I had the pictures/patience to make. I hope this can be helpful to someone else taking on the front end suspension or axles.

Most/all of the information is scoured from numerous other forum posts. Torque specifications are, therefore, not guaranteed to be accurate. When I couldn't find a value specific to the P2 AWD wagons, I used the next closest model/year I could find. If any torque specs look way outta whack, please shoot me a message. I'd prefer not to find out from experience that I insufficiently tightened something.

The PDF is too large to attach here, so I've hosted it on my google drive. You can access it here.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxnN...it?usp=sharing

I recommend downloading the file and opening it; the pictures don't show up very well when viewing online.

Cheers!

Wow! Nice write-up! As my XC hits 90,000 miles, I look forward to using this as my bible for the impending job. It would be nice to be back up in the "D" (where I grew up), to use your axle guys.
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

Thank you very much cmharwood89 for taking the time to create this documentation. I suggest to add it to the HOWTO section of the site.

And I love the color of your XC!

I'm happy somebody may find it useful! I'd be happy to upload it to the how-to section, but I can't figure out how to do so. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by cmharwood89 View Post
    I'm happy somebody may find it useful! I'd be happy to upload it to the how-to section, but I can't figure out how to do so. Any input?
    I've always contact the website admin. But they don't provide email address so you can forward a document. Just email them to contact you so you can forward the PDF.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/sendmessage.php

And yes, quite a nice write up on the frontend rebuild
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos