Default Help me diagnose low-speed squeak!

Hello,

I've had an 03 XC70 for about a month now and love it (about 130K miles). However, I had the oil changed/alignment checked at an independent Volvo shop two weeks ago and shortly thereafter we started hearing a noise. High-pitched squeak, every 1/2 wheel rotation or so, from 1 to about 11 miles an hour. Then it goes away. It's completely silent in reverse. Sometimes it is louder (more noticable) than others.

We took it back to the shop that did the alignment and they listened to the squeak and diagnosed it as needing a new driveshaft, around $1,000. Needless to say, I'm not feeling great about that shop right now.

I've trolled the forums and it sounds more likely that it's an issue with the parking brake, or possibly lubrication of the driveshaft/cv joints?

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms or could offer any advice? There's no tremble or vibration while driving or turning which leads me to think it's not the driveshaft. And I just checked the center-cap bolts (rear weren't very tight) but the noise didn't go away.

Thanks!

Never heard a propshaft squeak
    Clunk yes, clank, yes, rumble, yes
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hi,
    Check out the oscillation damper on the propshaft. There are 4 nylon pins that are mounted in the rubber. These can wander backwards and make contact with the oil pump on the haldex unit. The oil pump will have a slight witness mark on its face.

Quote Originally Posted by xcbody View Post
    Hi,
    Check out the oscillation damper on the propshaft. There are 4 nylon pins that are mounted in the rubber. These can wander backwards and make contact with the oil pump on the haldex unit. The oil pump will have a slight witness mark on its face.
    Excellent! This seems to be the likely culprit. Can the pins be retightened or will the damper need to be replaced?

Ok, so I just pulled the pins out. 3 years later the coupling failed (at 8 years old)
    The failure was the separation of the outer ring causing a huge vibration just like an imbalanced shaft
    It would be a stretch to suggest that the removed pins caused it to fail, but they are there to do something. I reckon they prevent over oscillation of the outer ring, as this would require the holes that the pins go through to collapse.
    Anyway a new one was 300 euro, I fitted it myself, but it was a tricky job to remove the old one and achieve the clearance between the propshaft and the haldex unit.