Default Battery Drain - Siren/Alarm?

My '03 XC70 has a 1.5A parasitic drain which kills the battery. I'm troubleshooting it and think it may be a malfunctioning siren module, door locks, or regulator causing the problem.

I don't know how to test the regulator (the alternator checked out OK by AAA and an indy mechanic). The door locks all seem to work latching and releasing properly. That leaves the siren/alarm as the likely culprit.

If I find the problem in the siren (using an ammeter), can I just pull out the fuse, disconnecting the power to the siren and leaving the siren 'dead?' Or will doing so affect the car's computer brain?

Also, if I disconnect the battery (using the procedures on this forum) do I need a radio code (it's an HU613)? I bought the car used and don't have the code. BTW- how would I enter the radio code anyway...?

Thanks.

No codes for these radios
    All are interchangable
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Usually you will get an "alarm system service required" message if there is a problem with the alarm module. (Codes will usually be stored also) Test your alarm by rolling the drivers window down, lock the car, wait a few minutes, then break in to your car by pulling the door lock button up and opening the door. The alarm should sound. If it does not - the siren module is bad and maybe that's your problem. I have seen many modules that will drain the battery - the alarm will flash the lights (and sound off also sometimes) at random times when the car is locked until the battery goes dead. The siren module is part of the network and I have never tried to simply leave it unplugged - but I think you would get a constant error message after that. (sorry don't have a can network diagram for that car in front of me)

You have a 1.5 amp draw all the time even with the car unlocked? (it's probably not the siren module) Some Volvo models have a problem with the sun visor mirror light staying on all the time (you cant see it, it's closed)

A voltage regulator in an alternator draining current with the key off is possible but very improbable with this car. Used to happen all the time with the 240-740's, the isolation diodes would go bad - but the alternator warning lamp which used to be wired straight to the instrument cluster would stay on with the key out.

Yes, no radio code is need on your car.

Happy hunting.

Pulling the fuse might not help at all. The following is a cut & paste from a posting by senior member Willy:

"The car communicates with the siren module by means of a serial link. Even when fuse 38 is removed and the car is shut down, this continues, it can be heard as a ticking sound. Perhaps this causes the battery to run down over time. I had a faulty siren module while on holiday, to be double sure I had the connector at the module unpluggedd (still is that way, haven't decided wether I will replace the siren.
    Willy"
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thanks everyone for all the info. It gives me some good places to start hunting.