Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

In 2000, when Volvo was still owned by Ford, I bought a new Ford at my local dealer (Sill-Terhar in Broomfield, CO) on the employee "x-plan"... Sticker on that Ford Expedition was $36,000, invoice was $31,800 and the x-plan price was $29,900. I looked at a couple of Volvos...the invoice and x-plan prices were far closer to sticker than on the Ford. Instead of an 18% reduction in price between sticker and x-plan (which is below invoice, closer to invoice less hold-back) that I saw on the Ford, it was about 5%...very tight margin...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

For reference, Ford's X-Plan is $500 above invoice. The next rung up, idk what its designation is but it's what they give sales people and those who work at the dealer, is $500 below invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    They can't help the Volvo price on transmission fluid, so I don't have them service the transmission.
    This is true. But $400 to drain and fill the trans? I'll pay the $28/qt for the synthetic fluid or whatever they charge just so I don't run into one of those incredibly stupid "well you took it somewhere else soooo..." conversations later on. To quote me $200 on just labor for a 25 minute job when I've brought in a large amount of repairs under CPO and out of pocket is ridiculous. Plus it's not like this is the only thing I want them to do so why is this part of the service so high?

But they've done software updates for free when the car is in for service. They do the best alignments.
    For your own reference, software updates are something every Volvo dealer does for free when you bring a car in for service. I do agree they do some good alignments but that's based on the equipment and technician rather than it being a Volvo dealer.

They even work out a loaner when I need one.
    LUCKY! I had to twist their arm to get me a loaner ONCE and I needed it for a solid week. I put 250 miles on the thing in 6 days.

I have to ask, though, Volvoholic, what on earth do you mean by "repacking the loctite"???
    My XC70 makes clacking noises from the front half shafts after I put it in drive or reverse. The fix is to pack the receiving end in the transmission with a very thick goo. The goo is glorified loctite, kind of. It's so thick that it muffles the noise and cushions the axle splines clacking with the splines in the housing when the car is put in gear. I find it to be a poor excuse for a fix to the problem but the other fix (which dealers don't do anymore because moisture would get stuck behind the bolts and rust out the trans housing) was to replace a set of bolts on the trans with ones from an XC90. Idk the specifics about that fix but I can't even get it done so it doesn't matter.
    The loctite fix is annoying because it wasn't even 10 months later when it needed to be done again.

These are the service deals at my Volvo dealer btw: http://www.galpinvolvo.com/volvo-service-specials
    $70 for JUST AN OIL AND FILTER!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? Thanks for the $10 coupon that makes it "only" $60...I just paid $35 at my Ford dealer to change the oil on my Expedition! That thing takes like twice the oil and has a bigger, heavier duty filter so why is the Volvo so high? It's not like I put synthetic in the thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    For example, this year model is discounted $2750. A Ford Edge Sport is discounted $5000.
    I'd buy the EDGE Sport. Limited run vehicle with better chassis and suspension dynamics and a 3.7L, 305hp, Ti-VCT V6 pulled straight from a Mustang? Sign me up! Plus repairs are cheaper and happen half as often.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

My 5.4L Expedition took 6 QTs...so does my Volvo XC...don't you think "twice the oil" is a bit of an exaggeration?

I know that Volvo updates software for free, but my dealer has been very accommodating about it. My last service was to reset the SRS light and find the source of a noise. They reset the light, fixed the noise...Total cost, $35. Very reasonable.

Credit where credit is due.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

My 5.4L Expedition took 6 QTs...so does my Volvo XC...don't you think "twice the oil" is a bit of an exaggeration?

I know that Volvo updates software for free, but my dealer has been very accommodating about it. My last service was to reset the SRS light and find the source of a noise. They reset the light, fixed the noise...Total cost, $35. Very reasonable.

Credit where credit is due.
    Mine takes more than 6. Not sure on the number, don't have the manual within 300 miles of me. Maybe it was a tad overkill but the point remains. It's not like it's synthetic oil otherwise the price would be warranted.

At least your dealer has proven to be worthy of credit. Come to the one I visit in LA and wait for them to wow you with rudeness, overpriced services, and stupidity. They wanted $150 to repack my axles after they did it barely a year ago. $75 to *just* change the oil. $400+ to *only* change the transmission oil. All before tax. You serious?

No credit where credit isn't due.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...

Just wanted to provide an update on my dealership experience. Yesterday I took my Volvo to my mechanic and friend of 10 years. He's been helping me work on my XC70 - and the only info I gave him was that during an inspection on a trade, the dealership mentioned that the tie-rod ends were loose. He put it up on the hoist and gave everything a good look over. Rod-end links, tie-rod ends, control arms, bearings, struts, and bushings. Everything was a-ok. Nothing loose. Nothing worn.

Couple of points:
    1. I didn't fall for the tactics/game the dealership tried on me and I was proven wise to listen to my instincts. I was being lied to by their inspection report to low-ball me.
    2. Dealership offered me $500 less for my trade against the Canadian black-book trade-in value for a ROUGH shaped Volvo XC70. And it was a Volvo dealership on a Volvo. WTFH. It's the same manufacturer as the car I have. I should at least be getting better than average value. But no. Disappointing.
    3. When it came to trying to make a deal, I basically had to go up the chain for them to deal with me on how rudely I was treated.
    4. Just a point - I walked out after being low-balled and the sales agent was amazed that I wouldn't accept their offer and was acting like I slapped him in the face when I wanted to negotiate. I was expecting to go back and forth. But no. His exact comment was "We're $5000 away. I don't think a deal can be had here." After being insulted by his manners and that comment, I walked away.

Sorry for the rant. But seriously. WTFH.

Sounds like this Ford dealership I went to back in 2009 when I was going to buy my Fusion Sport. I took the thing out for a test drive and when I went to try and negotiate a price on it the salesman said $1K over sticker was their lowest price. I told him that's ridiculous and he said it was fair because it's a "rare" model. First thing's first, it is a rare model but not that rare. I asked if he'd go $1K under sticker and he said no so I told him to shove it and left.
    On my way out he "assured me" I was making a huge mistake and they'd sell the car for more than that. When I said I had X-Plan pricing, he acted as if he had no idea what that was then said it wasn't applicable on that vehicle. That's one dealership I'll never deal with nor take a car to.
    On the Fusion Sport I bought, I got X-Plan with extra stuff thrown in.

I recommend selling your XC on craigslist. That's what I do with every car I'm getting rid of.

It is very amazing that Volvo dealers, when it comes to buy new cars, prefer 100% of nothing than 50% of something...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123