Thread: AC complressor

Default AC complressor

Is it my imagination, or is my AC compressor cycling more than it used to? I just timed it, and it is running a 10 second on / 10 second off cycle continuously on an 80F day. The AC blows cool even on really hot day ( well - really hot for around here is 90F ) , so I haven't been tempted to do a re-charge.

Also, when the compressor clutch disengages, there is a metallic 'clang' that I think has developed over time. Is this the sign of a clutch about to fail, or is this just what 160,000 miles sounds like? Can I change the clutch without changing the compressor?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Last edited by skibo; 09-07-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

System charge may be starting to get a bit low, but the sound you describe from the compressor sounds like the clutch is starting to crap out from wear. Also, over time, the compressor clutch coil gets weak due to heat and age (commonly called fatigue), and can't keep the clutch engaged for as long as it should. The coil gets hot and then opens up allowing the clutch to disengage. Can you see any accumulation of what looks like "red dust" around the compressor? That's a sure sign the clutch is failing.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Red dust....I'll take a look.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)

You can measure the gap around the clutch easily if you have some feeler gauges too, and see if the clutch is wearing. I've read the shim procedure is possible, which allows you to shim the gap down w/o removing anything. I've been meaning to try this on my car as the gap is well beyond spec, and I'm having issues with AC kicking out.

Some links:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=30543
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...tto-clutch-fix

Bread clip fix works for one particular type of A/C compressor. Mine both P2s have another type (Zexel, from pre-Bosch era), had to buy a clutch holding tool like (OTC 4537) to counterhold pulley. On V70 MY2002 it is possible to get to the pulley if air guide (plastic thing between bumper and subframe) is removed. On XC70 MY2005 air guide is covered by bumper.

I got to compressor from above - after draining coolant a bit, removing steering pump, alternator, fan... Not very hard job, just annoying.

Also had 10/10 seconds cycles, tried to charge A/C myself and overfilled it badly. You likely need no more than 1/2 can (I put two .
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    You likely need no more than 1/2 can (I put two .
    I laughed at that. I had a lesabre that when the coolant was low it blew 65f out the drivers and about 34f out of the pass side with the comp staying on as it should. I was told that the can should get cool as I filled it, when I opened the valve nothing seemed to happen. when I took off the can it was empty and the temps were even at about 42f. ran it for another year before I got my xc70. which also has this odd cycling problem I can even feel it cut out/in when going down a hill

Thanks everyone - I'll have to take a closer look at this soon - maybe this weekend.