Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What happened to the tranny?
    EDIT
    Never mind, saw your other post
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hi Nortons - I'm new to this site and am looking for a section where older Volvos are discussed. Mine's a '86 240 DL with fuel injector electrical problems. Any clues? Thanks, Dagaan

Not here, and definitely not this website... and why would you ask him? This XC was/is his first and probably only Volvo

Go to either www.brickboard.com or www.matthewsvolvosite.com

Not too many talking about these anymore, most are gone to the rusty, high mileage waterhole in the sky!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Haven't been on this web-site for a while, but disappointed no one has been helping you. I am no expert, but can tell you what I have come across with my 1998 V70 XC. Car has approx. 165,000 miles.

When I first purchased it, I got a 'rubbing' noise from underneath. Assumed (wrongly) that it was the prop-shaft. Bought a good one locally and fitted it. Same as before. I would also get some binding on sweeping long LH turns. I know the dealership well and asked the shop foreman to check it out.

They identified the bearing at the front of the VC tube had failed. On removing the bearing race fell apart. Whilst it was apart, they recommended replacing the bushing at the front of the VC tube as it was getting badly perished. This got rid of the 'rubbing' noise and a slight clunk on gear-shifts. Still had a slight vibration on corners at speed. Strangely that has disappeared after replacing the LH front drive axle. May be coincidence!?

Having spoken to the foreman (been with Volvo since 1975) he says they get problems even with brand new VC's from Volvo. It depends on how they are stored. If they sit for long periods of time flat (as fitted in the car) the silicone fluid causes a tide-line and he believes this causes and imbalance and dry clutches which rips the clutches in the VC on start up. Not sure how true this is, but have to bow to his knowledge.

I have a spare VC and case, and keep it stored on its end in the hope it will be good should I need it ever. Also have the original prop-shaft rebuilt at Colorado and have kept as a spare.

Otherwise, I have completed a stage 1 on all the car including the drive-line, and flushed the tranny twice, and car now feels a lot smoother. Now if I could just stop the various oil leaks........

Not sure if this helps, but I felt it may make your realise you are not alone on this.

Have you tried running the car with no prop-shaft to see if the problem is still there? If the problem is still there then it is unlikely to be the VC, and clearly not the prop-shaft?

Good hunting!

Neil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12